Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 06-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I knew a girl like that once.
Me too
Unread 06-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Not to knock the gun, but just a point on this Parker and other, even higher grade ones. For some reason, Parker did not apply the same level of quality checkering (steel cross-hatching)to their safeties as they did to other quality features on their guns. Can anyone venture a guess as to why. I have seen much better steel checkering on graded Ithaca triggers, Francotte safeties and early Winchester hammers.
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,191 Times in 4,903 Posts

Edgar's "girl" may not have been a "girl". As we have found in the modern world, girls are found in degrees. Not all are fully developed.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,730 Times in 1,588 Posts

Edgar - I believe what you are referring to are not "drop points" but may be referred to as those little thingies which pop out when the turkey is done
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,761 Times in 2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
I knew a girl like that once.
I bet you did.
Unread 06-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #16
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 12,101 Times in 3,245 Posts

Bill, I agree that some cross hatched Parker triggers look pretty crude when compared to the rest of the gun. I prefer the old style, 'mid hump' safety, and they are generally worn enough to hide any line-to-line irregularities. Winchester lever gun hammers are not hand cut, but forged. I love the early 'double tombstone' hammer pattern the best
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #17
Bill Zachow
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Edgar, you are right on how those Winchester hammers were made and the guy who made the die really knew how to cut steel. Thanks, Bill
Bill Zachow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

This is a fine Parker in all respects , nothing wrong with the stock drop points or anything else. This is one of two known. 16 ga Bernard's. The 12 is added recently. This
gun was sold at Julia auction maybe six years ago first to one Pgca member then sold more recently to another. I have handled and shot the gun. It has nice modern dimensions. Apart from being ultra rare as a small bore Bernard it has the uncommon rondel side panel engraving. A nice high quality collector gun, and since I have the other known example I will not pursue this one.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,197 Posts

In relation to the comment of Anderson and his talkative state when deep in his cups, I'll relate a story. Last time I roomed with our buddy he had a few too many at dinner which is normally his want. We headed back to the motel, I was driving thankfully, he was rambling on about god knows what in the passenger seat. I was beat tired having driven about 12 hours that day to get to the shoot. He immediately stripped down to nothing but his white jockey shorts (not a sight for the faint hearted I assure you) and turned some war movie on the television with the volume blaring.

I was trying to sleep, but couldn't due to the noise, and asked if he'd turn it down. He gurgled out some unintelligible reply and proceeded to start snoring shortly afterwards. I quietly grabbed the remote and shut off the TV then went back to bed. Apparently the lack of blaring explosions actually woke him up, amazing as that sounds. He squalled out another unintelligible gurgle, waking me up again, then turned the TV back on full blast and passed out again. Again I got up, snuck the remote out of his hand, and turned it back off.

Few minutes later, same thing, up squalling some nonsense and hunting up the remote to turn the TV back on. Now mind you, by this time, it's about 3am and I'm on the verge of killing him. I got back up, fully intent on murder, when he promptly stuck the remote in his underwear and passed back out again with the TV still blasting.

I wasn't about to go fishing for the control needless to say, so I got smart and crawled under the piece of furniture that the TV sat on and unplugged it. He woke up again almost immediately, jerked the remote out of his tighty whities, and began a half hour attempt to turn it back on. When that failed, he went into the bathroom and puked for 10 minutes, then slept on the floor till morning. Notice in the first line of this post I mentioned this was the LAST time I roomed with him.......

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

I recall nothing of this alleged story The only shoot I recall attending in your presence is the Southern in which Roger Giles drove and we were both in fear for our lives. I believe you have me confused with another person