Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,364 Times in 3,283 Posts

Blooded my CHE Bernard 16 over a point by Alder from which 5 grouse erupted. I've had this gun for several years and waited until this trip to bring it out of the safe. It just seemed the proper time to use it. Call me crazy, but things have to be just right for a special gun. Not by chance, it was built the same year as the DH 16 I've been using on this trip. There's a story there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9907.jpg (582.1 KB, 12 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #12
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,709 Times in 1,418 Posts

Dang Garry you keep pulling those nice graded Parkers out your safe! Now I know why there aren't any nice ones to be found, you have them all!
Unread 10-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,585 Posts

McQuarrie is my favorite outdoor writer by far!
Unread 10-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #14
Ed Norman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon View Post
Ed, not to start a rumor but I heard from a friend of a reliable source that your DNR trapped grouse from the area we hunt and released them in your coverts. So, your birds are the same strain we hunt here. Sorry, but they all have PhD.s in Escapeology.
some days I call the grouse and woodcock around here "houdini" birds. Today I was so excited to get to run cash around 2 p.m. that I forgot my hand held g.p.s. I didn't realize it until I started to let cash out of car. I put him back in, drove to a long straight 2 track area and just let him quarter back and forth across the 2 track. 5 minutes in his bell quit, luckily I remembered the general area the bell quit. 3 minutes later I found him and a woodcock flushed, another houdini flush into the thickest stuff you can imagine. Cash had 4 points, one he stayed on point for 15 minutes until I found him, another houdini woodcock. I won't do that again, I will go back and get my handheld. I tried to keep him within 20 yards, every time he ranged out a little further, he seemed to go on point. Now I know what it must of been like many years ago before all the beepers and hand helds. My buddies are not finding many woodcock, so both guys I talked to today both were quite happy about cash finding woodcock.
Ed Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Norman For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,563 Posts

All I use on Grace is a bell. Sure, she goes out a bit too far into the thick stuff from time to time but the bell tells me where she is or was when the bell went silent.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,069 Posts

I have posted numerous times in the past (when I had a good English setter) about the use of bells vs. electronic "beeper" collars. I hate the damned things! They remind me of a trash truck backing up in the woods! The bell is sweet music by comparison and if nothing else it teaches you to really pay attention and listen in the woods.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #17
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,184 Posts

Great pics, Garry. Thanks.

Is that sentinel pine really virgin growth? If it is it must be existing in some really poor soil.

Best, Stan
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #18
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Great pics, Garry. Thanks.

Is that sentinel pine really virgin growth? If it is it must be existing in some really poor soil.

Best, Stan
Stan, these scattered giants are indeed considered virgin growth, and are probably in the 300-400 year old range. The native forests of Northern Minnesota were comprised of White and Red Pine, part of the successional growth over the area after its most recent glacier receded. Over a long period of time the glacial till and moraines eventually produced these pine forests. The area is comprised of sand hills and bogs/swamps, and it supports a wide variety of plant life. I'm sure that the soil is very acidic, so no matter how rich, it probably does not allow good uptake of minerals by plants, but it obviously suits the pines well enough.

Coincidently, there is a spot not too far from where we stay, call the Lost Forty, where there is a small contiguous stand of virgin pine. It seems that through some error by surveyors, the land was never plotted for harvest, and so was never logged. It's a really unique area (https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chip...a/?recid=26672), a kind of time capsule for what the forest looked like before the loggers took all the pine back in the 19th Century.

If you're thinking that pine does not look very large, the picture does not do it justice. These are massive trees. As a tree farmer, I'm always drawn to trees wherever we hunt, and we always photograph them when we come across them. If we make it to the Lost Forty area again this year, we'll snap a few photos and post them.

Here's a virgin pine that has died not too long ago. Again, I'm not sure the photo captures its size well, but you get some idea of what these behemoths looked like when the loggers arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9820.jpg (524.0 KB, 4 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #19
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We got a late start yesterday, and found a new-to-us spot that looks to have potential. The wind blew a gale, making it hard to track the dogs, and making the birds hunker down. Aspen had several grouse points, but we had no chances from those. He did find one, lone woodcock, and the CHE did its job. I forgot to mention that this gun is an 0 frame 16, and it weighs right at 6 lbs. (in perfect agreement with the research letter). It's about a pound lighter than the DH (and has two inches more on the barrels). At this stage of our trip, it's nice to carry a bit less weight. We are all dragging at this point, and will take a "rain day" off today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9923.jpg (512.6 KB, 10 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #20
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,925 Times in 12,563 Posts

If I were a woodcock... or even a grouse for that matter, That is the gun I would love to fold to and pose with!!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: