Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

richard your a man of many talents..thanks for the advice on filling cracks..gonna put this in my note book got to where i cant remember yesterday...i use to use oven cleaner on old greasy enjine parts now maybe i can glue that old stock back together.... c harlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

Charlie,

The man that repairs my cracked and dinged stocks swears by Crazy Glue, as being superior to Super Glue in his opinion. I watched him repair dings that would not lift with steam by using Crazy Glue in the indentation and then walnut dust/powder. When it is sanded flush it looks just like part of the original wood, as Richard described before this post. Uses it on open and unopen cracks as well. CHE's advice on the different viscosity of the glue is something I did not know. Good advice.

He soaks oily stocks and forends in laquer thinner and I have degreased and stripped several that way before finishing. Not only does it remove grease, but restores a hundred years old compressed oil -soaked wood and the wood will again be slightly proud above the mating surface where once it was slightly below. I had a recoil pad that was larger than the butt of the stock and after soaking the stock was bigger than the pad. The good thing is it dries so quickly. I use the environmentally friendly laquer thinner and it works as well as the original stuff. It will probably remove your Ape Glue that you applied. Of course this means a refinish with lots of grain filling and sanding and oh so many coats of finish. Just my 2 cents. Experts stock finishers on here may disagree.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #13
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

J. A. im learning more and more aboutwood and the things you can use to fix broke stocks and the such...a question..does any body think that old parker stock of mine will hold together with just the glue..or should i go ahead and try the small threaded rods with the glue...stock is completely broke in 2 pieces at the wrist... thanks charlie
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

Charlie,

My opinion is that with a completely broken stock at the wrist, I would not want to waste time trying to glue it without major pinning, done by a professional. Can you do photos? It was the DH 10 GA right?

p.s. Enjoyed your article.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

yes it was the 10 ga dh stock..ive got to relearn the picture making.. daughter was helping me but were are thwey when you need them..ha i think your right im going to pin the old stock or get somebody to whiddle me one out..glad you liked the artcule the thanks really goes to calvin for beingthe nicest persons you could ever meet and a really good shot with that old ten parker...but dean is the man who all the praise should go to hes the man who took a story and was able to put it in the fine magazine PARKER PAGES ... charlie
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Brent Francis
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wood working supply stores or online sell a "superior" form of super glue called CA it comes in different dry times etc. Ive found it to be good stuff for all kinds of repairs although its kind of pricey
Brent Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Look on websites that sell supplies for fossil restoration. Those folks go through buckets of CA glue(super glue) and have suppliers that supply it in a variety of viscosities. I have brochures at home that I got at the Tuscon gem show that are a must have for the serious CA glue user. You can buy liter bottles; none of the .25oz tube for those folks. It's much cheaper per unit vol in larger bottles also.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

boy i hope i dont need a bucket of that super glue...thats gonna mean a lotta broke stocks... at the moment super glue is holding the stock together..but i have not shot it yet the other times i glued it never held.. charlie
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
Peter Harris
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am told that the finest CA glues for stock repairs come from America. One name I was recommended was ZAP?
Peter Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

im trying the 4 th new glue a friend who is a better wood worker than me is trying his best glue of some kind..hopefully it will hold but i dont have much faith that it will hold..i too think it needs to be pinned...if it does not hold im just going to restock it.. its just a shooter anyway.... charlie