Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 02-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #11
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,003 Posts

Phil, can you explain how much hassle it is to fill a gun with air and how many shots you can expect? I have two break opens, and can't stand that "boing..." spring/air sound and trigger feel. I haven't gotten a CPC because I imagined running to a scuba shop every 100 rounds to get a tank filled. I'm clueless. But I hear they're amazing to shoot.
Unread 02-23-2022, 09:06 PM   #12
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Charlie have you seen the 20mm air rifles? They are technically a little bigger than 20mm at .825 cal which is really close to a 8 bore. They use a fast twist though since they are 20mm vulcan barrels just turned down. Im not sure if you can call a 1760gr projectile a pellet. I have considered buying one but not sure if its something I would want to drop $2500 on.

As well the pcp air rifles like that require a 4500 psi compressor or you can use oxygen tanks to refill if you have a local source for that.

The neat thing about the large caliber air rifles is once you get over the initial cost all you will be paying for is lead scrap from your local tire shop to cast bullets.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #13
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,235 Times in 3,276 Posts

or

you can go old school

http://www.nramuseum.org/guns/the-ga...and-clark.aspx
Unread 02-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #14
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,026 Times in 1,454 Posts

Never use oxygen. Mixed with any petroleum based product can result in spontaneous flash fires.
I bought a small filler bottle. Also a portable 12v/ 110 portable water cooled compressor. Once your bottle I’d filled in takes me less than 20 minutes to top off. I then use the bottle to top off my rifle. I get about 3 fills off the tank and it takes less than a minute to fill the rifle.
About 25 shots per rifle fill. The magazines I use hold 10 pellets. My rifles will result in one ragged hole at 50 feet. note my bottle is about half the side of a scuba bottle.
Bottles can be filled at Scuba shops. I joined a local air gun club and they provide a compressor to be used by members free of charge.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Carr For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #15
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,145 Posts

A good friend of mine has a black air rifle with a scope. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that rifle, but it's something I'd never heard of. It's a compressed air job with a rotary clip, semiautomatic. When you look through the scope at a squirrel, for instance, you see two images of the squirrel. Focus it until you see one sharp image, put the crosshairs on it's head, and it's a dead squirrel. It compensates for the range by moving the crosshairs to match the ballistics of the rifle.

I saw him head shoot three, at out to 75 yards, with it last year. I wanted one bad until I looked into the price and realized how much he has in that rig. My yearning faded .......
Stan Hillis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 02-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #16
Phil C
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,026 Times in 1,454 Posts

Daystate and Brocock are the name of the rifles I own. Both made in the UK.Both of these rifles are very high quality. Both can be adjusted for velocity and will effect the number of shots you get per fill.
Phillip Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2022, 11:51 PM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,750 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
A good friend of mine has a black air rifle with a scope. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that rifle, but it's something I'd never heard of. It's a compressed air job with a rotary clip, semiautomatic. When you look through the scope at a squirrel, for instance, you see two images of the squirrel. Focus it until you see one sharp image, put the crosshairs on it's head, and it's a dead squirrel. It compensates for the range by moving the crosshairs to match the ballistics of the rifle.

I saw him head shoot three, at out to 75 yards, with it last year. I wanted one bad until I looked into the price and realized how much he has in that rig. My yearning faded .......
A so called “friend” lols is trying to talk me into a 45 or 50 caliber air rifle . I’d wanted one of the Quackenbush guns for awhile but they’re kind of a semi custom thing . Anyway my friend and I are going to an air rifle shop about 60 miles from us Wednesday to “look” . Like you the cost is kinda prohibitive but worse case we’ll go eat lunch then look them over . The gun I’m semi intrested won’t leave much change from 2K and then I need to get a little compressor deal etc . Doubt I’ll cave in and buy , but like I said doesn’t hurt to look especially if we eat somewhere decent for lunch .
Unread 02-28-2022, 11:58 PM   #18
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
A so called “friend” lols is trying to talk me into a 45 or 50 caliber air rifle . I’d wanted one of the Quackenbush guns for awhile but they’re kind of a semi custom thing . Anyway my friend and I are going to an air rifle shop about 60 miles from us Wednesday to “look” . Like you the cost is kinda prohibitive but worse case we’ll go eat lunch then look them over . The gun I’m semi intrested won’t leave much change from 2K and then I need to get a little compressor deal etc . Doubt I’ll cave in and buy , but like I said doesn’t hurt to look especially if we eat somewhere decent for lunch .
Theres a production 50 caliber air rifle now I think there is the Air Force Texan now comes in 50 cal. I was watching a video awhile back of them slinging some 750gr Amaxs out of it to 900 yards. You're basically duplicating the 510 Whisper but without the hassle that a rifle in that caliber entails. If I remember correctly a 750 amax launched at 750 or 850 fps only looses around 200 fps out to 1000 yards.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

that sure beats my old daisey red rider bb gun...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote