Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I think the pre 85 had a metal and red plastic insert for a wad guide. After they used a one piece black plastic wad guide. I'm not sure what you mean by " knockout bushing". Is it the cam crimp punch that goes in the cam crimp housing ? I have an extra old Grabber 87 in 12ga that I'm converting to 10ga. Disconnected the resizer. Then ground out the shell carrier to take 10ga. Put on the start crimp and final crimp stations [10ga] from my 600jr. So far it works up to the start crimp station but still binds a bit when indexing to the start crimp station. I'll have to take it apart again and grind a bit more clearence on the base - the old machines had the outer guide cast in the base instesd of riveting on a piece of sheet metal. A 650 would have been easier but I didn't have one. If you look at a 600jr and a 650 you'll see they used the same drop tubes, start crimp and final crimp equipment. So far I can use the progressive action up to crimping and then I can pull the shell out and roll crimp. I get the rest working and then I can star crimp. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oh, I've never had any trouble with the new plastic star crimp, 6 or 8 point. They are easier to adjust- the old ones need washers. I do think the old metal ones "look better" but don't think they work any better. I have had to order plastic ones because it wouldn't stay on rod [ from changing 6 to 8 and back too often]. Paul
Paul Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 03-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

P.H.

Now that you mention it the older crimp starter does loosen pretty easy. I did purchase the plastic one and have given it a try but just wana try the old metal one.

The knockout bushing is the part that is attached to and sits just above the deprimer.
I purchased the resizer which fits over this peice but the older ones don't have the threads for the resizer.
I'm going to hope that the new one fits. I also noticed on the deprimer where it attaches to the machine, it is threaded for an attachment I was hoping it was for the resizer and the resizer threads fit but I realized it was upside down so there is something that belongs in these threads that I can't find because of the age of the model they don't show what would go in the original 650 at MEC.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,064 Times in 1,729 Posts

Or a MEC Supersizer.
Unread 03-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Keith Parrish
Forum Associate

Member Info

on the MEC 650 parts page items #43 and #19 go with #80 and attach to the knockout bushing to resize your hulls in a seperate step you have to take the punch out and can only resize one at a time.
Keith Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote