Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

Hope all moves through it true, looks scary to me !! wonder what a busted twig would do to shot path ?
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Can only imagine how loud that thing must be. Wouldn't want to be in the same trap squad with it.
I have only shot the model 12 20 gauge with this thing at hand thrown skeet. I did not notice the noise, but like you, I was concerned about it. For some reason the gun did not always unlock so that I could smoothly cycle that action. I had to shuck forward until it unlocked and then back.....not good.

The unlocking mechanise, if I understand it correctly, is assisted by recoil. This Power PAC must have restricted the recoil to the point that the gun did not unlock reliably....frankly for that reason I don't shoot it anymore, but the gun looks and feels neat.

I have considered removing the trigger group and lubricating it, which might fix the issue. The gun is in excellent condition, which makes me think the original owner (I bought it used.) had issues with it too and he didn't shoot it either.

Whether or not it works, the quality of the Power PAC is nice.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
Hope all moves through it true, looks scary to me !! wonder what a busted twig would do to shot path ?
I shot a box through it and it worked fine, but I read somewhere they a plastic wad can get caught inside the basket behind the screw in choke tube. So, yeah, I'm leary too.

OTOH if I remove the device and attach a new bead I'll have a 23" barrel on my 20 and that's just too short for me.

I could shoot Polywad fabric wad shells, but those things cost twice as much as regular storebought shells. Or I could reload and roll my own which so far I have been hesitant to do.
Unread 10-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've got an early M12 in 20 gauge. It's a neat little gun with a 2 1/2" chamber. The original barrel is 25", so 23" wouldn't be too far off.
Bob Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
I've got an early M12 in 20 gauge. It's a neat little gun with a 2 1/2" chamber. The original barrel is 25", so 23" wouldn't be too far off.
I am of two minds. One is to save the Power PAC since it is old and at some level, classic. The other is to remove it. Since I have an 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge that works like a charm, the conflict is nothing that I'm losing sleep over.

The Wingmaster is a great little shotgun! It has choke tubes...I bought it just this year, new. Something I rarely do.

Let's see; within the past two years I have bought a Parker GH, a Monkey Wards Stevens 520, a 20 gauge Wingmaster, a Remington Model 11, 16 ga, a Winchester model 12 in 12, and 16 gauge and a Model 37 in 16. I'm shooting a Parker SBC, GH and Remington Model 11 20 gauge weekly at trap/skeet.

I bought a flat of Fiocchi 1 1/8oz spreaders that I'd like to shoot in my GH at skeet, but they are not low psi shells, as far as I can tell, and I'm hesitant to shoot them through the damascus barrels. It is a F&F gun and heavy which makes me think it'd swing well and hit with spreaders. To date I have not shot any of those strange shells though. I may try them in my F&M Sterlingworth and/or Lefever; two re-done guns that look nearly new.

I have stopped shooting my Browning Gold Fusion at skeet or trap. It is a wonderful gun, but I find my swing tends to stop when I'm shooting a light gun.... yes, I need to shoot more.

Of course I should stick to one gun at skeet and one at trap, but darn it all, I love shooting different kinds of guns, the older the better. Nor am I seriously shooting for score, but I do hate missing and I work hard at trying to bust them all. I have yet to hit all 25.

The most difficult thing about shooting different guns is fit. The drop in old guns is often excessive which varies the "float" of the bird. Also my spot weld is different between guns which raises or lowers my line of sight. Some have cast and others do not. Since each gun shoots a little differently, it takes me a while to find the pattern. So, I miss some....is that excuse enough? LOL

I have to be honest here. While I enjoy the shooting, I look forward to the BSing with the other guys in the shooter's shack almost as much. Everyone is serious about shotgunning and it can get pretty deep in there.