Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 01-28-2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

You sort of have to understand a little about the culture and targeted area where their stores are located. That North Florida, Southwest Georgia Thomasville area is Quail plantation and preserve mecca. These are extremely high dollar operations. It used to be fashionable for the Yankee industrialists to have a quail plantation to stay at and winter some on their way to Florida. Most of these estates are still private with a lot of them being contiguous. Hence there are folks that have the money to get what the want no matter the price and they have been doing that in that area since the height of Parker's gun production.

Just guessing but Kevin's has two highly sought after guns on their website that almost look like a matched pair. One is a 28 ga supposedly 1 of 4 ever made, the other is a 410. Who knows the story of those guns. Guessing they came from an Estate down there. Heck someone may just need to have that gun and has the cash and plops it down. He may even have the guns on consignment, who knows. Either way it seems he is bullish on the sxs market in an area that is fashionable to have a high dollar gun and in an area that some folks won't second guess on a premium price too much.

My guess is that one day there will be high dollar guest visiting that gets the bug that needs outfitting and wants the best and to look the part and sees that gun and buys it as an investment. Shoots it a few times a year and then just sits back in a nice case somewhere.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #12
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,933 Times in 12,565 Posts

Can't fault that logic Todd.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:07 PM   #13
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

At one time they also had a Purdey hammergun that was set up for pigeons. Heavy proofs, side clips, and Whitworth barrels. It was a prop in their catalogs and it was on their table at the Southern a couple years ago. Dang it was nice. I held it but at about $40k it was way out of my reach
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
todd allen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,364 Times in 1,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
You sort of have to understand a little about the culture and targeted area where their stores are located. That North Florida, Southwest Georgia Thomasville area is Quail plantation and preserve mecca. These are extremely high dollar operations. It used to be fashionable for the Yankee industrialists to have a quail plantation to stay at and winter some on their way to Florida. Most of these estates are still private with a lot of them being contiguous. Hence there are folks that have the money to get what the want no matter the price and they have been doing that in that area since the height of Parker's gun production.

Just guessing but Kevin's has two highly sought after guns on their website that almost look like a matched pair. One is a 28 ga supposedly 1 of 4 ever made, the other is a 410. Who knows the story of those guns. Guessing they came from an Estate down there. Heck someone may just need to have that gun and has the cash and plops it down. He may even have the guns on consignment, who knows. Either way it seems he is bullish on the sxs market in an area that is fashionable to have a high dollar gun and in an area that some folks won't second guess on a premium price too much.

My guess is that one day there will be high dollar guest visiting that gets the bug that needs outfitting and wants the best and to look the part and sees that gun and buys it as an investment. Shoots it a few times a year and then just sits back in a nice case somewhere.
Ha! That reminds me of this guy I met on a skeet field, some years back.
I was an A, or AA Class SC gun about that time. A pretty hardcore gun guy, but just a country boy.
I walk out to the skeet field, at the Las Vegas Gun Club, to jump on a squad and do some warm-up shooting. There, waiting in the same line as me, a guy so impeccably dressed in shooting attire, he looked like a model for Orvis. Head to toe, he was equipped, and holding a brand new MX 2000 Perazzi.
I, on the other hand, am wearing a 70% worn out vest, jeans, and an old MX -8, with a couple hundred thousand rounds thru it. Up walks his trophy wife, a beautiful lady, with a strong Latin accent.
I felt a little intimidated, at first. Then we start shooting. I watched BANG-nothing for enough rounds, until I had to ask. "New to the sport?" "Yeah, a friend got me started a few weeks ago. The guy was a doctor, had a very successful practice, and just wanted to take up shooting.
I'll bet Kevin's would buy you a nice dinner, if you sent them a customer like that.
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to todd allen For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
Jim DiSpagno
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 2,636 Times in 784 Posts

Kevin has had over the top prices for at least 15 years. Everything he has, he considers the best. If he is trying to buy from you, yours is junk in his wyes. He came into a gang of money and liked the business. Not a good experience. JMHO
Jim DiSpagno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim DiSpagno For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,434 Times in 4,453 Posts

I am not a fan of Kevin's. Our experiences have not been good.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,176 Times in 4,897 Posts

He has had the .410 for many years. He should adjust the price because it is getting near the right price. The 28, not so much.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #18
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,113 Times in 676 Posts

This reminds me of a visit I made to Woodcock Hill years ago. WH is a small place in the middle of nowhere. It does not have a sign out and you need an appointment to visit but it does house some fine and very expensive English sxs's. When I arrive at my appointed time there are two guys from Texas there finishing up a transaction. I could tell by the way they were dressed that they lived in a different neighborhood than me. They purchased two English guns valued at $50k & $65k. After paying for the guns they asked the owner if he would take them outside and teach them how to shoot them. There are all sorts of people in this world and I suppose a business willing to cater to all.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,933 Times in 12,565 Posts

Kinda reminds me of John Kerry and his(?) Purdey...

Oh, and his loafers too...

No idea who he borrowed those O/U's from.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kerry 2.jpg (33.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Kerry 5.jpg (19.9 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Kerry 6.jpg (17.3 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Kerry 4.jpg (58.7 KB, 182 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #20
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

He has a wide range of goods that are reasonable to get you in the door and some stuff that is just, lets just be polite and say expensive. But he is like everybody else that buys low to sell high. I love watching Pawn Stars and chuckle every time they get into a high low game of negotiations on stuff on every single episode. Its almost like watching bass fishing, what do you think they will negotiate on next. Mostly I tune all that out and like the unusual firearms and weapons and the experts they bring in. Only if the providence proves out will they pay out big numbers since they think they can find someone that has a want or need for that specialty item.

A needs based discussion is what Kevin wants in selling an expensive gun, just like those Pawn stars. I'd say he has been successful enough at that it makes business sense for him. If he sells one then its a windfall, if not, then its nice prop in the store to look the part of an old classic sporting good store that can deliver on a broad spectrum of goods. Besides guns don't take up too much space. I'd say if all his business was selling guns then those prices are way different, maybe.

BTW not an advocate for Kevin but just understand the model. Have only been to his store a few times. So far have only bought a pair of pants and a shirt, on sale. Maybe one day I will be the demographic that he wants to sell those high priced guns too, but for now I am just fogging up the windows. Heck if pick one of those guns he may even go W.C. Fields on me and tell me "Go away son your bothering me, a nice man in an expensive car just pulled up".
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: