Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,779 Times in 3,163 Posts

"Fun" doesn't begin to describe it. Sounds like the kind of place I want to go to when I die.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

If you are concerned about choke, perhaps Brileys in Houston could install thinwall chokes if there is sufficient wall thickness at the muzzles. Personally, like others I would just cut the end off and shoot as is.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,723 Times in 880 Posts

This is just my opinion, but rather than try to find an exact length to cut it back to like 27 inches, I would save as much barrel as I could, even if it ended up 27 5/8" or some oddball figure. The barrels I had cut on the blown 20 VH for someone else came out to some oddball length, but they still had enough choke left to throw something other than cylinder patterns.

Briley told me they can put tubes in 95% of the barrels they receive, but if you cut them all the way back to where they are straight tubes of the bore diameter and the barrels are not very thick, there is nothing there to do anything with even with thin-wall tubes. That was the case with a set of 26" barrels that had been cut back from 30" I sent them. As we have discussed before, they can get very thin just before the chokes, but hopefully not with this number 2 framed gun. I'm betting if the chokes had not been altered beforehand and as much as possible is saved, one will have a little choke left on this gun.
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I'd just cut it down to 26" or 27" and shoot it. Eventually, if it's done nicely, you'll forget it's even cut since it will look fine and be a pretty decent preserve or upland gun. That gun could have generations of use left in it.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
Big Friend Ten (BFT)
PGCA Lifetime Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,933 Times in 795 Posts

Have the barrels trimmed back to where they are safe and functional. Do not worry about choke constriction or lack thereof. You will be amazed at how far a gun will shoot with modern ammo.

Additionally, without any constrictions shooting steel or HeviShot is possible. Of course the recoil from those loads will probably take a heavy toll on the gun's buttstock.

USMC Retired
USMC Distinguished Marksman
USMC Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Benefactor - Ring of Freedom member
Mark Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 5,007 Times in 1,414 Posts

If it were me and the gun came from/belonged to my father cost of repair takes a bit of a back seat. I would get those barrels into the hands of someone like Mike Orlen in MA who has given me great service in the past. I would have the barrels cut to either 26" or 28" even if possible and have Mike install permanent soldered choke sleeves rather than choke tubes. Mike's prices are very reasonable. I can't find a more current price list but just a few years ago, trimming the barrels, resetting the bead and installing two choke sleeves ran under $300. I'll bet it won't cost a lot more today.

http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf

Update: It appears Mike's prices for this work have not changed, I found this over on Shotgun World where he is a moderator.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #17
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

after surgery, suggest you shoot gun and see how it patterns for you. if you desire tighter patterns, barrels could be jug choked, which typically results in improved cylinder patterns from a cylinder bore.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,930 Times in 4,671 Posts

One thing is for sure... if I were ever going to have a set of barrels blow. I would like them to be like these ones did. Better than in the middle. At least you can save this one without too much trouble and still have a working set of original barrels out of it.
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

that has to be kind of scary to have the barrels blow like that.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Don't worry a bit about chokes, it will still shoot fine. Many believe that chokes detract from the calamitousness that is the very essence of shotgunning.
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote