Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 02-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #11
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,138 Posts

Bruce, I do shoot the B & P Comp Ones in my damascus guns. They are wonderful shells, with one exception, many hammerless guns will misfire with them. There is a very slight difference in the rim shape/diameter that allows them to sit deeper in the chamber than most other commercial loads. This causes light primer strikes in many guns, not just vintage guns either. They won't even fire reliably in my Perazzi. I finally determined that they will fire reliably in every external hammer gun I own, and have relegated them to that. If I didn't have this problem with hem I'd use them much more.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 02-14-2022, 09:55 PM   #12
Victor Wasylyna
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,497 Times in 338 Posts

I can’t get past the foul smell of the B&P Competition One shells. They smell worse than the Herter’s Low Recoil shells.

-Victor
Victor Wasylyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2022, 10:09 PM   #13
Ray Dunkum
PGCA Member

Member Info

Stan, did not know about the primer issue. Guess I've been lucky. They work in my AJ Aubrey hammerless and my 1885 Parker hammer gun. Have an 1895 GH that has not been checked out. Stripping the oil soaked wood and the barrels will be evaluated. Manufacturers do not readily share their shells internal ballistics. B&P shows all on there web pages and a distributer shared the pressures. Winchester pressures were from a shotgun forum listing of tested shells. NSI would not respond to an email but pressures were listed by an Australian trap/skeet club. They had been solicited by NSI and all ballistics shared.
Raymond Dunkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2022, 10:26 PM   #14
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,871 Times in 2,034 Posts

Somewhere in my reloading notebook is a note on the now unavailable Herters Low Recoil 12 ga shells . The pressure was a little over 9000 as I recall, so I didnt want to shoot them in my WW Greener 12 sidelever from 1875, and shot them thru my SW pingun, yeah I know it has 2 5/8" chambers. I didnt notice any strange smell. I usually shoot 7/8 oz reloads with AA Lite powder in Gun Clubs.
Unread 02-15-2022, 12:29 AM   #15
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts View Post
Bruce I would shoot that in my Damascus barrels for sure. The key as you alluded to is good barrels. I have shot that BP load a lot and liked it. Didn't know the pressure was that low. Now I really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
Bruce, I do shoot the B & P Comp Ones in my damascus guns. They are wonderful shells, with one exception, many hammerless guns will misfire with them. There is a very slight difference in the rim shape/diameter that allows them to sit deeper in the chamber than most other commercial loads. This causes light primer strikes in many guns, not just vintage guns either. They won't even fire reliably in my Perazzi. I finally determined that they will fire reliably in every external hammer gun I own, and have relegated them to that. If I didn't have this problem with hem I'd use them much more.
Randy and Stan: Thanks for the reply's. I am going to give them a test go on all my Damascus guns.
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #16
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,871 Times in 2,034 Posts

Stopped at local gun store today to pick up a 22 rifle that I won on a tip board.
They had about 10 cases of B&P Competition 1 for $99/case. They all were #9 and 8 1/2 shot, OK for SC I guess, but would prefer 7 1/2 or 8s. What have you guys been paying for them--I didnt pick any up yet.
The gun I won was a Henry Silver Boy 22 with our clubs logo on the frame. Really dont care too much for it. Throw the gun up and you literally have to put your chin on the stock to be able to see the sights, talk about a low stock, Im going to measure the drop. I need a new 22, but this just isnt what I want.
Unread 02-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #17
Bruce Hering
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Stopped at local gun store today to pick up a 22 rifle that I won on a tip board.
They had about 10 cases of B&P Competition 1 for $99/case. They all were #9 and 8 1/2 shot, OK for SC I guess, but would prefer 7 1/2 or 8s. What have you guys been paying for them--I didnt pick any up yet.
The gun I won was a Henry Silver Boy 22 with our clubs logo on the frame. Really dont care too much for it. Throw the gun up and you literally have to put your chin on the stock to be able to see the sights, talk about a low stock, Im going to measure the drop. I need a new 22, but this just isnt what I want.
Harold: If you are looking for a really good shooting 22 check out the CZ bolt guns. I have two right now. One is a stock 457 with the sport barrel
(referred to as a pencil barrel) and the other is a 455 with a swapped out Lilja barrel in 17 Mach II. They both make one-hole groups at 25 and stay on out to 100. Like most good 22's you need to find the ammo it likes. The 457 shoot right with my my Cooper Jackson Squirrel.

If you want more info PM me....
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Bruce Hering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #18
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,533 Times in 994 Posts

I have fired about 6-8 flats of BP Competition one over the past 3-4 years in all sorts of guns and haven't had one misfire or any stinky smells. Harold, that's a decent price for sure. I would have bought all they let me take. As far as the .22's, I have two CZ's (a 452 and a 452 Lux). They shoot up there with the best of them, mine digest CCI standard LR just fine, with perhaps an edge on one of the Ely's (I'd have to look in my notes). Got them back when they were about $250 each.
Unread 02-15-2022, 08:32 PM   #19
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,034 Posts

Before the pandemic really put the screws onto the target shotshell ammo supply, I found 2 flats of Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 7/8 oz. 12 ga. loads at $70 per flat. I bought them both and really grew to like them, but have not been able to find them since! They are a relatively high velocity load, 1290 fps., but noise and recoil are minimal. I think they are loaded for International Trap (Olympic or bunker trap), and I would love to find a ready supply of them. I have no idea of what the pressure reading of the load is.

Prices per flat for 12 gauge target loads at our local gun show, mostly 1 or 1 1/8 oz., have slowly crept up from $90 to $95 to now $110 since just before the holidays last year (right before Thanksgiving @$90). The 2 or 3 largest ammo vendors usually have less than 10-12 flats per vendor each show and it goes fast; small gauge prices are shameful; $20 per BOX for 20 ga., $225 per flat for 16 ga., $27 per BOX for 28 ga., and $30-35 per BOX for standard 2 1/2" .410 skeet loads! By mid-day of the second day of the show, all of the 12 ga. stuff is gone.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote