Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 07-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,122 Times in 2,437 Posts

Has this sort of thing happened with the lead in the butt stocks of Winchester Model 12 Heavy Ducks?
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2016, 07:52 AM   #12
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,738 Times in 413 Posts

I saw it happen on a Winchester 97 pump gun .
Unread 07-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,295 Posts

I've seen many solid lead plugs originally done by Fox/Philly along with those in several Winchester Mod 12 Heavy Duck pump guns, and one just recently in a Baker SBT gun. In all of those guns the plug was at the back end of the stock, just a little under the buttplate or pad where the wood is quite thick. One Fox plug I measured, but didn't pull, was about 5/8" in diameter, and the Baker plug which was pulled is .520" diameter which suggests it was pressed lightly into a 1/2" drill hole. The long surface of the Baker plug is somewhat rough and looks like it was cast that way before pressing into the stock, to positively grip when under recoil set-back. All these many guns were done by the respective factories and none had cracked stocks or even the start of a crack. Yes, the exposed end of the plug was oxidized gray/white but that was easily cleaned if desired with something like a pencil eraser. Of course any gun with a lead plug what was done post-factory is subject to how that plug was done by whoever did it.

I can understand a stock splitting if someone hammers a way oversize plug into a hole, or let's say if someone pours molten lead into the hole. Regarding using lead shot for recoil reduction or to help balance the gun, again shot will oxidize over a long period of time and when exposed to moisture, and probably the lead will also react with tannin in the wood. But as metals go, lead is relatively inert = increasingly less reactive than iron, nickle and tin, and a little more reactive than copper. Oxides will form over time but why wouldn't they creep into the open spaces between the shot pellets instead of creating pressure enough to crack the wood? Just based on the one picture provided here it looks like the crack is much farther forward than the solid lead plugs in the gun examples I cited. Maybe the hole drifted to one side while drilling, the wood "wall" was really thin there, and the crack resulted from release of internal stresses in the wood and/or from getting wet and drying out multiple times? All this is JMO of course.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

I can't post a picture right now

But I have a PH 10 Parker that split right along the plug in the stock

Very heavy barrels. The weight would have been needed for balance and was no doubt done when the gun was built
Unread 07-09-2016, 01:43 PM   #15
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

While I have been hesitant to join this discussion, I thought I'd offer a few perspectives of my own:

Lead oxide isn't good. But it may not be the only factor involved in this issue. Certain lead alloys seem to oxidize to different degrees. And under different conditions.

Then there is the stock wood. As mentioned, some of it is naturally acidic. Some less so. Some may absorb more moisture than other pieces. What's more, figured wood seems to be less resistant to strain/cracking/checking than more plain wood. American black Walnut is more prone to this than English/French walnut.

Then there is the gun's environment to consider. Was it kept in a humid climate? A very dry climate? Was it used in bad weather conditions where moisture could be an issue with the wood and lead oxidation?

Or... is the gun just OLD. Wood does not last forever. Some seems to. Other stocks fail before their time.

My only point is that lead in a butt stock for balance is just ONE factor in a gunstock's endurance or failure.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 07-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #16
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

all good points John

when we discussed this before - i wondered if wood movement was a more likely factor than lead expansion
Unread 07-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
High Brass
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have used lead shot to balance guns or add weight in heavy recoiling rifles. I encapsulate the shot in epoxy to stop movement or oxidation. I don't think this will cause any issues in the long term.
George Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Please tell me that lead wasn't poured in hot Todd..!
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #19
Todd K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

My guess is that it was poured in hot but I bought the gun after the fact.
Todd Kaltenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,178 Times in 4,897 Posts

My eight gauge hammer gun had a lead plug that caused a crack. I assumed it was poured, so I took it out a piece at a time. Don't assume that your lead plug is smaller at the bottom end and can be pulled out.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote