Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Unread 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,121 Posts

Greg ,Is there any stamping on the Barrel Flats or Water Table to designate the first one being a #1 and the other a # 2 ? Thank You for the pictures ! I know where there are a couple of these ,one in 20 Ga. but don't know how to tell the difference ,both are in nice shape and appear to be # 2's ! Russ
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,017 Posts

No, not in the same sense as Parkers are stamped in regards to the grade. On the water table of comtempory AyA's and other Spanish doubles you will typically find the maker's marks, proof stamps, S/N's, gauge and chamber length. The barrel flats will have the same water table stamps and additionally there will be stamps with the barrel weight in grams and what the barrels were proofed at in bars. On the barrels themselves, just ahead of the barrel flats will be the choke designation and the bore diameter in millimeters.

The pics I posted were the standard engraving patterns of the AyA #1 and #2 grades, but the Spanish are custom gun builders and will build anything the client desires. i.e. In theory you could buy a #2 with #1 wood or #1 engraving or some other custom engraving, etc.

Russ, if you are seriously considering one of those AyA's you could call Carmen at AyA (860/388-3989), she's a Spanish lady that works in the USA for AyA, give her the complete S/N and she could look up in AyA's records as to the grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,652 Times in 1,121 Posts

Greg ,I really don't know how serious I am but each time I go in and the 20 is looking at me ,I always have to handle it a bit ,and I know the proprietor is just itching for me to make an offer ," Any Offer " I believe !
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,205 Times in 4,909 Posts

I would buy that last pictured #2 regardless of the off center engraving.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
Paul Stafford III
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I own an AYA #2, and depending on how old the gun is determines how they are engraved. Older models are all done by hand similar to the #1. Also depending on how they are ordered your gun can have upgrades. My #2 has gold turned internals that only the #1 has, also I have extra fancy wood. When I spoke with the gentleman from AYA at the Shot Show last year they said the new models would be machine rolled and the hand chased engraving. Once you hit the #1 grade and up it's all done by hand.

Last note: They are a very high quality spanish gun. You wont be upset.
Paul Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Stafford For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,084 Posts

Russ the odds are that it's a #2 gun as there are more of them around. I passed on a #1 10 years or so ago because it was a 20 and I was looking for a 16. I still regret that one. The #2 should be under $4K I would think.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #17
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks everyone for their responses and when I am in the Lebanon area I will check them out real closely. Moving toward seriously. I understand NECG will fit the gun when purchased.
When I was looking for reviews on line some one referred to the AyA owners as a Purdy wanna-be. Now I covet the purdys but that wasn't very nice. Don't think I'd want him in my duck boat.
Have some family connections in Spain and was drooling over the AyA catalog with the 80 year old patriarch. I send him all my duck pictures and he gets to relive some of his younger days. Love to buy one just to have him shoot it.
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stafford View Post
When I spoke with the gentleman from AYA at the Shot Show last year they said the new models would be machine rolled and the hand chased engraving.
That statement gives the impression that the new #2's going forward from last year's Shot Show would be machine engraved. When in fact, the standard engraving has been machine applied for about the past 20 years, or so.
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Paul Stafford III
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I believe you are talking about the lower grades, in that case you would be correct. #2's can be ordered several ways, as in mine is a "deluxe" and does not have standard engraving. Either way you want to see it they are a well made gun.
Paul Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
Wayne Johnson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well now, these are a bit over my head, but...back in the day, as they say, I bought an AYA 20 ga, from of all places, Sears-Roebuck. It was marked either Sears by AYA, or AYA for Sears, or something along those lines. It was a 20 ga, with 28" barrels, mod/full, and 3" chambers. I was told at the time that AYA apprentences made them for Sears as part of their training.

The Sears store I delt with at the time had two of them in stock, a 12, and a 20. The 20 was by far the nicer of the two, with really nice wood, and some simple, rather understated engraving. The receiver IIRC, was color case hardened. I paid, IIRC, $199.00 for it about 1978-79 or so. A very nice gun, and one of the very few I regret selling. It probably was the nicest gun I've ever owned.
John 3:16 NKJV
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote