Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

"Waaaay down the road indeed""
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #151
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default "Waaaay down the road indeed""

I have a suggestion. Normally I would contact a BOD or Life member privately re; this thought, but as both this little Lady from the Lone Star State has "barred her soul" to us about her personal loss of family members and the value of this well-worn 16 bore CHE once owned by her Granddad (and having been favored by my own maternal Grandfather re: a few good guns which I treasure)--If both the BOD and Dee agree, and she is willing to turn over this Parker to the custody of a nearby trusted PGCA member (Bruce Day if he is willing, perhaps) have it on the display table at the Annual PGCA meeting or the Vintagers- with perhaps gunsmith restoration expert Doug Turnbull using it for a seminar on both careful dis-assembly, and evaluation of such an older heirloom for restoration to using/shooting condition in today's mileu. And going one step further, use some of the funds from the Silent Auction to help her underwrite the cost.

We all have seen some possible 'trolling posters" on the open sector of our Forum, and I have always been charry of some of the things I have read on any internet web site that concerns itself with good guns. But I believe this Lady, and I commend her wish to keep this valued Parker. So many of us here (and on the other fine gun websites/forums) have been fortunate in the breaks that life sometimes puts in front of us-so the possible sharing of that good fortune with a deserving person merits some thought, at least IMO!!
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #152
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

You guys never cease to amaze me!!!! You're kind words and thoughtful gestures are truly a blessing. Thank you
Dee Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee Durham For Your Post:
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #153
winplumber
PGCA Member

Member Info

I am still here and willing !
Steve Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #154
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,206 Times in 4,910 Posts

I hope my information about the provenance of your gun and its early history was of interest and in congruence with the PGCA letter. I also hope that my suggestion to treat your gun as a piece of Texas and Louisiana history is of as much interest. Restored Parkers are a dime a dozen and are worth a dime on the ten dollar bill when offered for sale. Your gun is a wonderful example of Texas bird hunting history and should be kept as is. No matter what advice you get about rehashing your wonderful and rare bird gun, it is as good as it gets in its present condition. I, personally, will shed tears if this gun goes to the restorer. That's it for me. I tried my best.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
You are quite welcome, M'am!!
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #155
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default You are quite welcome, M'am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Durham View Post
You guys never cease to amaze me!!!! You're kind words and thoughtful gestures are truly a blessing. Thank you
-- If you ever get up to the Wolverine State, let me know and you can come with me to the gun range-if you like shootin' Colts- mostly 1878 SA Army "peacemakers", most of which my late father picked up while working on a dude ranch in Wyoming in the "dustbowl 30's" Unlike my maternal Grandad, who shot both Parkers and a hammer Purdey- all 12 bores, my Dad was an avid "pistolero" and also a deadly rifle shot. He got me hooked on woodchucks when I was about 10-I have both his two and only two shotguns- both older pre-War M12's (no doubles- most likely due to his heavy emphasis on rifle shooting I'd guess, in retrospect)-- I also have his 1939 MTWoodsman .22LR, his M70 SG in 30-06 he bought in 1939-1940- and his "house gun" a .38 Det. Special snubbie with hammer shroud. I like the Python in .357 full house loads, and the great 1911-A-1 Colt .45ACP for defense and target work--as Texan gun writer the late Bob Brister (Ace shotgunner) once wrote in his book: Moss, Mallards and Mules- about the words from his mentor Uncle Abner-"Man carryin' a big pistol most oftentimes not ever have to use it" perhaps Uncle Abner graduated from Teddy Roosevelt HS--

Anyway, IMO, the nature of our growth in the PGCA, our new increasing membership, the get-togethers and the great research done on Parkers by some very dedicated folks, all speaks to our success in what one might well call a "niche gun market"-- Many fine Parkers are sold or traded amongst PGCA members, and I applaud that- America's Finest Shotgun(s) should be in the hands of those who appreciate a top quality hand made well functioning shotgun from another time and era in American history. You might well say that we "keep the torch burning brightly" for futre generations, what the late sportsman and writer T. Nash Buckingham called "Our come-afters"--Best regards--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #156
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,227 Times in 834 Posts

I would like to take a moment (and hi-jack this thread for a bit ) to Welcome on board our most recent and newest PGCA Member:

Dee Durham

In the truest sense of "paying it forward", another PGCA Member stepped forward to anonymously sponsor Dee in this organization. To that fine gentleman...

Well Done, Sir...!!!

To Dee - Welcome aboard!!! Mary is preparing your welcome package to the PGCA....

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #157
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

WOW! Just WOW! Whoever did this fine act of kindness....THANK YOU! That was very sweet, thoughful and generous of you! I really don't know what to else to say I appreciate you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dee Durham For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #158
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts

Smile

Dee: I hope you get this gun restored and would willing to contribute to that end. I don't know that much about why's and why not to restore a gun but have restored my share of auto's and was just trilled to death when done so could show them off and drive them. I have a parker that was restored by the Delgrego's and love it to death. Take it to the recommended restorers and get a price and lets get this show on the road. You can count me in for one Ben Franklin. Thomas L. Benson Sr.
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thomas L. Benson Sr. For Your Post:
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #159
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,556 Times in 506 Posts

Smile

Dee: I hope you get this gun restored and would willing to contribute to that end. I don't know that much about why's and why not to restore a gun but have restored my share of auto's and was just trilled to death when done so could show them off and drive them. I have a parker that was restored by the Delgrego's and love it to death. Take it to the recommended restorers and get a price and lets get this show on the road. You can count me in for one Ben Franklin. Thomas L. Benson Sr.
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thomas L. Benson Sr. For Your Post:
Unread 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #160
DeAn Durham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. Benson Sr. View Post
I really appreciate the offers to help from you and everyone else. I, like you, do not know about the why/why not to restore reasons either. When I originally posted here, I had not a clue of what I was holding in my hand, now that I do know what I have, I don't know what to do with it.....so right now I'm at the point of LOL! I am genuinely grateful to each and everyone here and their willingness to help a complete stranger.