Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-22-2017, 05:55 PM   #101
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,743 Times in 3,157 Posts

Dean and Bill, why are you deducting the shipping from the sellers proceeds? The buyer pays the shipping.
If you expected $1000, but sales were off 20%, then I’d assume it hammered at $800, from which the auctioneer takes his 25%, netting you 600. Pathetic.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #102
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Potter View Post
I’m 31, In the almost 2 years since I joined, I’ve had 2 people say something about the PGCA sticker on my truck. Both were 70+ years old.
I've been a member for some time and just yesterday was the first time someone mentioned my PGCA Sticker on the Back Window of my Jeep ! We had a relatively warm day and I snuck out for 18 Holes at the course and a Gentleman in the parking lot ask if this was my vehicle ,I answered yes and he replied you must be loaded if you are a Parker Collector ,Apparently he doesn't know about the Flat Market in Double Guns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #103
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

All this means is it’s a buyers market.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Auctions
Unread 12-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #104
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Auctions

If I remember correctly, didn't one of our other members also have some sort of issue with Julia's?
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Carter For Your Post:
Unread 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #105
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,439 Times in 689 Posts

This thread has just reminded me that I am really just a Parker Gun Collector In Name Only. All the guns I would like to buy, even at these depressed prices, are still beyond my financial reach.

But, that's OK -- I can still partake of The Mystique.
Unread 12-22-2017, 11:48 PM   #106
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eis View Post
George, I think you did the right thing to walk away. If they were unwilling to even give you a written estimate on each gun then there is something wrong with that, if nothing else so you would know which guns had value and which didn't. Maybe to ones that didn't have as much value you may have wanted to give to family or a friend and send the others to auction.
Eric: I was prepared to take less on some guns, the ordinary ones, hoping for a better result on the rarer ones and an overall average that I could live with. That, unfortunately, was not forthcoming as I did not know what their estimates were or how they were arriving at them. It seemed to me that the person doing the evaluating was only identifying the guns make, gauge, model, ejectors or extractors. Nothing about condition, rarity, maker, history, etc. Each evaluation took @ one minute and then his estimate. Not very professional at all in my view. For instance, I have a Parker Bros. DHE 20 gauge that I purchased from Holt's in England several years ago. It has London proofs on the barrel flats. It is in very fine original condition with an initial plate bearing the name "S.D. McGraw" and the number "2" The Parker letter gives it's manufacture date in 1925 but has no detailed information as to who ordered it or where the factory shipped it to. I was hoping that a competent auction house would be willing to do some further research on it and find out who it was made for (there was a major league baseball manager with the name McGraw around that time) I overheard their estimate of around $2,500. I thought that they were looking at the wrong gun. I guess that I must find a more competent outlet to sell my collection.

Best Regards, George
Unread 12-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #107
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,743 Times in 3,157 Posts

George, Tug McGraw's Christian name was Frank. I was thinking it might have been McGraw-Hill Publishing, but found that S.D. McGraw was a Partner in the Securities firm of Allen, McGraw & Co. who were listed brokers on the Chicago Stock exchange. The dates match up with the period of the gun.
A DHE 20 would first need to be run over, twice, by a 20 car train before it was worth $2500. Julia's has sold many 20ga. DHE guns in the past couple years, between $8k range to over $17,000. Maybe I should sell all of mine and buy a pontoon boat.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 12-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #108
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
George, Tug McGraw's Christian name was Frank. I was thinking it might have been McGraw-Hill Publishing, but found that S.D. McGraw was a Partner in the Securities firm of Allen, McGraw & Co. who were listed brokers on the Chicago Stock exchange. The dates match up with the period of the gun.
A DHE 20 would first need to be run over, twice, by a 20 car train before it was worth $2500. Julia's has sold many 20ga. DHE guns in the past couple years, between $8k range to over $17,000. Maybe I should sell all of mine and buy a pontoon boat.
I totally agree Edgar...............
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #109
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,978 Times in 4,806 Posts

Edgar, the figures you were asking about would be the charges for getting the collection (or individual guns) to the auction house. I am waiting for someone to link the thread about one of our member's experience in getting his guns back after not being sold. I won't mention his name.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #110
Chris T.
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'm familiar with George's DHE, I bid on that gun too. It's a gorgeous DHE, 30", straight stock with a long LOP and checkered butt. It's a cool job for sure, I would guess it'll bring a premium at the right auction.
Chris Travinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Travinski For Your Post: