Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

super glue stock
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default super glue stock

gonna try some super glue on a stock here in a few minutes...its a old american arms double barrel 12 ga...its kinda my allpurpose gun...heavy loads ive shot have broke off 2 nice size slivers of wood off the stock...im like every body else hunting a miricle in a can...maybe this stuff will workwill leicha know shortley..... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Hmm
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,356 Times in 3,305 Posts

Default Hmm

just a question, never having seen the gun, and not knowing where the damage is --- but are you sure gluing a couple pieces back on is enough?

The only double (my first - a Sterlingworth) I had pieces come of the head of the stock, needed new wood. I took it to the range one more time with the old wood before starting the project. Turns out another wood silver had come loose inside and lodged near the sear. The right barrel went off when I closed the gun. A 12 gauge load makes a big looking hole in the ground when its right in front of you.
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

your question is well took...thanks for the concern...the damage was at the top of the stock where it joins the reciever...i had the stock off so no wood or any thing down in guns mechanics...wood was free of oil so it glued back together well...i then put a coat of super glue on the inside of the stock head...should be stronger than ever now...i put it back together and ran 20 2 3/4 inch magnums through it...no cracking apperared looks ok so far.. they have a new super glue out that doesnt set up so fast and said was made for vibrations and poundings so i tried it seems to do the job only time will tell... charlie
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

I've not tried super glue on stocks. However, Acraglas has always worked for me on cracked stocks.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

will have to get me some acra glass...this project came up on a whim and i was in walmart and the super glue was about all they had...ive tried elmers and garilia glue on another project with no sucess...as ive been told the secret to good bonding is to make sure all the oil is out of the wood...i was lazy on my first project but will heed all the knowledge and advise given from now on...live and learn and i also shot the super glue stock some this evening still holding together.... charlie
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
CHE
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, The super glue you want to use will be found in hobby shops that deal in remote control model airplanes. It comes in different viscosities. The super thin works great on fine cracks. brownell sells it too but you can get it locally with no shipping. You can imagine it has to be strong because these planes take a beating.
tom leshinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

You also need to make sure the wood you are glueing is clean and free from imbedded oil to ensure the epoxy cures properly. If not you are wasting your time.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

ed what you said is true i tried to glue a oily stosk 3 times and the glue want stick to good.. charlie
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Charlie, to degrease that wood get EZOff oven cleaner and spray and rinse with COLD water until the brown stuff stops leaching out. Stand the wood to dry thoroughly before you reglue. An old tooth brush will help get the junk out during the cleaning. This takes all finish and dirt out of the wood, but it's the only way to make a repair like that.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I use super glue to re attach the small chips that sometimes come off around a receiver or tang when you take a gun apart that has not been apart in 80+ yrs. I try to do it immediately and generally use a blunted round toothpick to hold the chip in while the glue dries so that I can see if it's seating back in completely. I'll usually then take and exacto knife and relieve the edge of the chip just a smidgen to get it away from the metal. this works well. I've also glued quite a few shattered violin tops back together with super glue, none of which have ever failed since. It works very well for that. I don't do it on expensive violins... just older "fiddles" that my clients use mostly for square dancing and such. If the wood is clean, super glue works very well. It's good for filling cracks also. You first make dust with a file from wood like you are filling, force the dust into the cracks then drip low viscosity super glue onto the fill until it's soaked and let it dry and work it down. I use that method to fill in around pearl or silver inlaying on stringed instrument finger boards and fiddle tail pieces. Haven't ever found an alternate method that works better.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote