Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Climate Crisis
Unread Today, 05:52 PM   #11
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,502 Times in 3,324 Posts

Default Climate Crisis

Say what you will, but when the weather takes away time afield, I call that a climate crisis After sitting out yesterday when the temperature hit 78 degrees, we set out this morning with high hopes for an all day affair. When we got about two miles from the truck, the heavens opened up and by the time we got back to the truck I was wet in places I didn't even know I had. And now...I have a rain gun

I thought I'd post a few more pictures from our trip as I sit here in the rained pattered cabin with a couple of Gordon setters that do not like taking time off. The Good Wife is just okay with the break, and hopes her hunting coat dries out by tomorrow. Snow showers expected tonight -- never a dull moment.

Photos:

1. Aspen gave me my one chance today before rain set in. Unfortunately, just after, the rains came...and came...and came...

2. Rill had a bad day where she ran over birds, and then something clicked and she had two nice finds -- this being one of them -- and she hunted like a pro. Such is the saga of a two year old pup.

3. After a trip to Grand Rapids for groceries, we got back in time to sit on the dock and enjoy the lake view. It was 78 degrees, and our sit was curtailed by mosquitoes(!) Snow showers predicted for tonight. I hope they put down the ticks and mosquitoes.

4 & 5. Rill and Aspen are not good rain day dogs, but like sitting on the couch...until they decide that wrestling is in order. Then one goes to the kennel, and the other (Rill in this case) gets to point juncos from the window. For us this gets old quickly, but for Rill she is intense for however long the birds are there.

6. We are the only people here at the resort, but they still have their Halloween decor up and ready for the party. The dogs can't figure all this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7684.jpg (513.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7659 2.jpg (634.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7678.jpg (489.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8567.jpg (554.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7701.jpg (516.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8572.jpg (524.3 KB, 0 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread Today, 07:43 PM   #12
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,835 Times in 1,084 Posts

Great report and pictures, Garry! The wide temp swings lately have also affected us here in MD and VA - for some unknown climate-related reason, we came under a gnat attack while shooting at our local club a couple of days ago; something we had not experienced in 2-3 weeks. I immediately deployed my standard repellent, a fine imported cigar, which gave us significant relief. As an extended Druid-influenced effort in both repelling pests and finding birds for the remainder of your trip, given the close proximity to Halloween, I would recommend hunting with a primitive Celtic-influenced mask (NOT Michael Myers!), taking care to extend the eye hole radius to ensure head-down and follow-thru functions. (In order to not make Elaine feel left out, she could fashion a facsimile mask of Rhiannon, the mythical Welsh queen). It may sound frivolous or crazy, but you must remember, it is the "Season of the Witch"!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:55 PM   #13
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,502 Times in 3,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
Great report and pictures, Garry! The wide temp swings lately have also affected us here in MD and VA - for some unknown climate-related reason, we came under a gnat attack while shooting at our local club a couple of days ago; something we had not experienced in 2-3 weeks. I immediately deployed my standard repellent, a fine imported cigar, which gave us significant relief. As an extended Druid-influenced effort in both repelling pests and finding birds for the remainder of your trip, given the close proximity to Halloween, I would recommend hunting with a primitive Celtic-influenced mask (NOT Michael Myers!), taking care to extend the eye hole radius to ensure head-down and follow-thru functions. (In order to not make Elaine feel left out, she could fashion a facsimile mask of Rhiannon, the mythical Welsh queen). It may sound frivolous or crazy, but you must remember, it is the "Season of the Witch"!

Elaine brought her emergency sewing kit. She's giving me the evil eye as I read her your suggestion.

Pictures at 11:00!

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:58 PM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,225 Times in 3,668 Posts

15-20 flushes a day ! I dare say hunting the mountains of Virginia now 15-20 flushes would most likely be a good YEAR now !