Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread Today, 10:39 AM   #11
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,072 Posts

Randy as I recall the rib legend was hand-engraved. Also the doll's head rib extension was profiled to meet the curvature of the breech balls and the groove in the rib extension was shorter and cut deeper than the later factory rib installation of later VR guns which were longer and flatter across the top of the breech.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread Today, 10:42 AM   #12
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,072 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave Noreen;417400]Cannot be so. To be a .45-90 it would have to be an 1886. The largest thing the Model 1876 came in was the much shorter .45-75, and the Model 1873 was made for the much shorter .44-40 and .38-40 with the .32-20 being added in 1882.

Yeah Dave, I am likely off by 10 model years here; mostly likely an 1886.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:49 AM   #13
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,024 Posts

I don't follow any sort of logical step in burning through wads of cash, though many do. I've seen it like this:

One may collect grades such as DHE's in various gauges
One may collect just small bores or large bores or hammers..etc

I primarily buy "shooters" that are between $1,500 and $5,000 and I shoot them a lot and hunt with them. They are not going to win beauty prizes but they have never failed me. In hindsight I somehow accumulated a bakers dozen of the damn things and half of those are 16g on the light 0 frame. So I think that will be my focus going forward. Just be forwarned even if you don't have the money you will find the money to keep buying them, just tell yourself it isn't gambling or crack cocaine. It will help you sleep at night.
Unread Today, 01:15 PM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,188 Times in 4,903 Posts

I don't understand all of Andy's post, but I understand his collecting of hunting guns. Over the years, I have accidentally come into a large covey of better than hunting guns. I will never dispose of my more than sufficient collection of hunting and shooting guns, but those "better than hunting" guns will be disposed of in the next few years. They are better appreciated by younger and richer collectors who can write the checks and end up trying to dispose of them when they reach my age.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread Today, 01:35 PM   #15
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,686 Times in 2,910 Posts

James, welcome to the addiction!! Follow the advice of asking question and attending shows and shoots. Local auctions and classified sections of the newspaper are good sources to find a sleeper that won't break the bank. There's nothing wrong with higher grade guns but do not discount Trojan, V and G grades. They are solid guns and will break clays and take game with any other gun out there. They're easier on the wallet too. Just sayin'. I buy like Andy does, just more frequently!! Solid shooters that have honest wear. I don't care if a gun is refinished either as I shoot them. I shoot them a lot. I don't buy safe queens or collector pieces. I do prefer longer barrels for my clays guns so that's what I look for in a Parker. Not so much with my hunting guns. And yes, I buy guns for clays and different guns for hunting. As I said, welcome to the addiction!! If you invest in a PGCA membership, you'll find so much info on this site that it can make your head spin. You will also find some fine Parkers for sale in the members only sections. Once again, welcome to the addiction. Next thing you need are Hawaiian shirts. All the cool kids wear them on Friday during a shoot. Just sayin'.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!