Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

single trigger, long lop
Unread 08-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #11
Herb Hewlett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default single trigger, long lop

I have a single trigger 20 ga.,the trigger seems to be in the rear position and
the lop,from trigger to center of butt plate is 15 1/4 ".
A twelve gauge that measures 14 1/4". That would lead me to believe lop dimensions could be anything ?
Herb Hewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2024, 10:44 AM   #12
Larry Zimmer
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have two Reproductions. The single trigger gun measures 14 1/4. The double trigger gun measures 14 3/4. The length of the wood on both guns are the same. I had assumed that was the case on all of them. I was at the gun show in Tulsa this year and measured a two trigger repro and it was 14 3/8. I guess my assumption was wrong.
Larry Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2024, 11:20 AM   #13
Woodcock survey
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,463 Times in 616 Posts

This is a question, not a statement. What difference does a straight grip make in the perceived length of pull? Pistol grip, full or semi positions the trigger hand somewhat determining the position of the trigger finger and how far it must reach to contact the front or rear trigger. The straight gives the shooter the choice of position. I have one Parker straight grip which is very easy for me. Some of my guns with grips cause different trigger contact because of the grip.
Hope this is coherent enough to understand what i am asking. Does grip size and shape determine perceived trigger length also?
Daniel Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2024, 11:25 AM   #14
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In this post I have read of two differing opinions of the way to measure the LOP. I always thought that the LOP was determined by measuring the distance from the center of the front trigger (on a two trigger shotgun) to the middle of the buttstock. Is there a definitive/standard way to measure LOP or does this vary from one fitter/stocker to another?
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #15
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,720 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Zimmer View Post
I have two Reproductions. The single trigger gun measures 14 1/4. The double trigger gun measures 14 3/4. The length of the wood on both guns are the same. I had assumed that was the case on all of them. I was at the gun show in Tulsa this year and measured a two trigger repro and it was 14 3/8. I guess my assumption was wrong.
Although Repros were available optionally to be specified with a custom LOP, there has been an assumption floating around for decades that double trigger Repros that have a 14 3/4” LOP (there are many) were fitted with stocks intended to go on single trigger guns. Your guns support that assumption.
Unread 08-14-2024, 06:24 PM   #16
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,654 Times in 354 Posts

When the guns were initially ordered, the specs called for 14/8" LOP period. The Japanese took that to apply to either double or single triggers. The single trigger guns are all longer than the double trigger guns.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2024, 11:03 AM   #17
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,977 Times in 3,216 Posts

The common practice of measuring the LOP is to measure from the center of the butt, to the front trigger, on a double trigger gun. Where this leads to problems, is when a single trigger gun is measured from the center of the butt, to the (only) trigger. That may be the only way to report it, but if you shoot a DT gun with the same dimension as reported on a ST gun, you will find it to be roughly 3/4” too long to feel the same.
I know that the OVERALL length of a stock is almost exactly 1” longer than the lOP of a DT gun. Therefore, I keep that measurement in mind. Your hand ( and body angle) will then be the same. Then, shooting a ST gun will feel no different than pulling the back trigger on a DT gun.
At my age, remembering that overall dimension, is no longer important, as I have finally shed the last single trigger gun I will ever own.
Shoutout to Brian for his masterful conversion of my CHE 28 to double triggers.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 08-15-2024, 12:10 PM   #18
Dean Weber
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,437 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
The common practice of measuring the LOP is to measure from the center of the butt, to the front trigger, on a double trigger gun. Where this leads to problems, is when a single trigger gun is measured from the center of the buy, to the (only) trigger. That may be the only way to report it, but if you shoot a DT gun with the same dimension as reported on a ST gun, you will find it to be roughly 3/4” too long to feel the same.
I know that the OVERALL length of a stock is almost exactly 1” longer than the lOP of a DT gun. Therefore, I keep that measurement in mind. Your hand ( and body angle) will then be the same. Then, shooting a ST gun will feel no different that pulling the back trigger on a DT gun.
At my age, remembering that overall dimension, is no longer important, as I have finally shed the last single trigger gun I will ever own.
Shoutout to Brian for his masterful conversion of my CHE 28 to double triggers.
Said so much better than I attempted (Bill as well)!

Edgar, I also interpret your comment about the same hand and body angle to mean...in order to have the same hand placement and body angle, the length of the stock would have to be the same regardless of whether it was a 1 or 2 trigger gun for said comparison.
Unread 08-16-2024, 08:00 AM   #19
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,179 Posts

For me, if a single trigger is in the rear position I need the LOP to be longer by the distance that would normally be between double triggers. I have proven this. I normally like a 14 3/4" to 14 7/8" pull, measured from the front trigger. But, I own a restocked LC Smith 32" barreled 16 ga. FWE with a HOT in the extreme rearward position. Whoever restocked the gun made the LOP 15 3/8", measured to where a front trigger would normally be. It's perfect and I shoot it very well on late season doves or clays (or crows).

Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote