Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-11-2024, 08:08 PM   #41
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,700 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Is the flare just on the outside to provide enough meat to tap the threads for the tubes? That seems sorta Rube Goldberg, if I'm understanding it correctly.
It looks like they swage the barrels expanding both the ID and OD to accept those chunky factory choke tubes. Briley figured it out years ago not having to expand the barrels. Although I have an 11-87 and a 1100 with factory choke tubes and they are not flared.
Unread 08-12-2024, 09:42 AM   #42
David C Porter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The barrels are not swaged, they are machined that way to give more thickness for the choke tubes & keep down barrel weight. Where thin choke tubes are the only way to install choke tubes in normal choked barrels. The factory choke tube barrels are more robust & safer (dings & barrel damage from dropping) than thin choke tubes. Some choke tube barrels are machined with a straight taper & some with a slight bell. I've had both Thin & factory. Personally, I'd rather have the more robust factory choke tube barrel.
David C Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #43
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,157 Times in 4,887 Posts

I wish I could give Daryl more than one "thanks" for his last two posts. He tells it like it is. The flares are not in our imagination and some shooters can't stand them. Further, the gun in question at $7995 is two thousand dollars more than a similar Repro without chokes, a heck of a surcharge for choke tubes. Briley does the whole job with chokes for $549, less with dealer discount. In addition, it seems like the seller can't make up his mind about a gun that our posters say "has a slight flare" and describes the barrels in his ad as "dead straight". Which is it?
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2024, 12:54 PM   #44
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,720 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I wish I could give Daryl more than one "thanks" for his last two posts. He tells it like it is. The flares are not in our imagination and some shooters can't stand them. Further, the gun in question at $7995 is two thousand dollars more than a similar Repro without chokes, a heck of a surcharge for choke tubes. Briley does the whole job with chokes for $549, less with dealer discount. In addition, it seems like the seller can't make up his mind about a gun that our posters say "has a slight flare" and describes the barrels in his ad as "dead straight". Which is it?
With the above post filled with so much naivety, one wonders where to start? So, I'll start with this:

It bears repeating that you are not comparing apples to apples. You cannnot compare the dramatic swell, flare or bulging, or whatever you choose to call it, of Perazzi, Krieghoff and a host of other manufacturers barrels to the slight flare of the Sporting Clays Classic. They are very different in appearance. You, yourself Bill, commented in post #13 of this thread: "The pictured SCC is very nice with no apparent flare. I would love to add that gun to my Repro collection."

RE: The asking price of the listed gun being two grand more than a similar Repro. Why does one gun command a higher price than another? Listed below are a few reasons, you may have others...
* Versatility -- apparently it doesn't to you, but to others it might be a big deal.
* Condition -- apparently it doesn't to you, but to others it might be a big deal.
* Rarity -- apparently it doesn't to you, but to others it might be a big deal.
* Quality of wood -- apparently it doesn't to you, but to others it might be a big deal.
* Dimensions -- apparently it doesn't to you, but to others it might be a big deal.

One has to wonder why Daryl would purchase that beautiful Perazzi MX28 in the first place if he couldn't stand looking at them due to the flared muzzles?

As to the seller of the GI listed SCC changing his wording from "Barrels are dead straight, with no flare out for the tubes." to "Barrels appear to be dead straight." My take on that is that he was totally unaware and couldn't believe there was/is a slight flare after it was pointed out to him via his own photo. So, he edited his listing. I guess he can now play dumb by using the word "appear" if someone should question his listing.

If you're that anal about the slight flare to a SCC's muzzles, you best keep the SCC in your "did not buy" bucket o' guns.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2024, 01:12 PM   #45
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
With the above post is filled with so much naivety, one wonders where to start? So, I'll start at the beginning.

One has to wonder why Daryl would purchase that beautiful Perazzi MX28 in the first place if he couldn't stand looking at them due to the flared muzzles?
Well the reason I purchased the 28 Perazzi is because it was a good deal and I thought I could live with the flared muzzles. After a while it bothered me so when the gentleman I purchased the gun from told me he a fixed choke MX28 and he would give me what I paid for the flared one it was a no brainer. Some people like chocolate, some like vanilla. Muzzles with even the slightest amount of flare have no appeal to me.
Unread 08-12-2024, 01:54 PM   #46
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
Muzzles with even the slightest amount of flare have no appeal to me.
No need to worry, you’ll get over it. Therapy is available. The first step is admitting there’s a problem.
Unread 08-12-2024, 02:05 PM   #47
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
No need to worry, you’ll get over it. Therapy is available. The first step is admitting there’s a problem.
There is no problem here. With all due respect I don't like them so buy all the flared guns you want. We all don't have to like the same things.
Unread 08-12-2024, 02:45 PM   #48
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

You're right, no need to get all worked up about it as what's been said has been in jest. After all, we're all friends here!

I love slightly flared muzzles! Fixed chokes, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 08-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #49
David C Porter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I see the gunbroker listing price for the "SSC" has been lowered from $8995 to $7995. That's still about $2000 too high. I bought mine (unfired in original box, hard case & cover) for $5700 last November. Granted, the wood is very nice on the gunbroker, but also splinter forearm & double triggers are not a plus to most buyers.
David C Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2024, 05:37 PM   #50
Bob Jurewicz
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,190 Times in 602 Posts

I am of the belief that: splinter forend, long LOP, Double Triggers and great Wood are definitely value adds.
Bob Jurewicz
Bob Jurewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Jurewicz For Your Post: