Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Just made a 10 gauge reloading block
Unread 07-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #1
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Just made a 10 gauge reloading block

Picked up a 1 1/4" thick cutting board up from my local salvation army for $5 today. I could have used a scrap piece of 2x12 I had laying around but figured I wanted to make something I was proud of and looked nice. I used a 1" wood bit to drill the holes. Spaced the holes 1.5" apart and and a little over an inch deep. The holes are deep enough that I the brass hulls are below flush.... The hulls will "weebile wobble" in the 1"x1" round holes but won't tip over and fall out. I sanded the pencil marks out until the top was smooth and put a coat of antique minwax finish on it. I used a tooth brush to varnish inside the holes I drilled. Imo it turned out nice for a $5 investment. Never played around with a drill press since middle school accept for roll crimping hulls the last few years. It was a fun, quick, and easy project. It took a few hours from start to end.

Cory Rams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post:
Unread 07-17-2024, 03:57 PM   #2
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,099 Times in 2,079 Posts

very nice, Cory
Unread 07-18-2024, 08:57 PM   #3
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I had a piece of scrap 2 x 12 …or it might even have been a little wider. It got thrown out by the neighbors when they were building the house last summer, and I grabbed it. Figured I would have fun in make a few various size blocks this afternoon. I got a little sloppy with my hole drilling and didn’t get the holes even spaced or lined up but I figured “who cares” because these are ones that are just gonna be tossed around in my reloading bench and supplies. I won’t cry if I scratch, drop, or brakes these ones. Made 3, 25 count blocks and various size smaller ones. These are just gonna be workhorse ones thrown in my supply box. I grabbed the torch and gave the pine blocks a little love so they didn’t look so plain. I put a coat of antique minwax finish over the top. Wanted to give him an old antique look like they’ve been around for a century. The 25 round count blocks turned out halfway decent for holes being lined up except for one…lol. Was just a quick job to make some work horse ones. The smaller blocks when I tried to cut edges I kind of cut into them and figured instead of tossing them out. I was just gonna finish them and keep them for spares or a little compact one for when I’m loading just a few for testing.

Last edited by Cory Rams; 07-18-2024 at 09:08 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Rams For Your Post:
Unread 07-27-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

My 10 ga. blocks are drops of 1" Starboard from my shop. Laid them out and bored on the drill press then a quick shot on the table router for the edges. Deep enough to hold filled hulls securely but easy to get out. Really good when I want to roll crimp, I can load a box then crimp all at the same time. Crimp tool doesn't cool between rounds, makes the crimping go faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3642.jpg (526.3 KB, 1 views)
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 07-29-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

I looked for some of that stuff to rebuild my transom on my boat this past winter, but they wanted an arm and a leg for it. Now that I see that I should’ve bought a couple of pieces of thick gray plastic that look like starboard at the restore shop this past winter it would’ve worked out great.
Unread 07-31-2024, 10:45 AM   #6
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Found another multi laminated wood cutting board thrift shopping the other day. Think I might reserve this current one I got for pistol calibers. All my plastic factory loading blocks are too wide and deep for pistol. I should be able to cut a few blocks up out of it. Found another piece of scrap 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 laying around I’ll mess with too. Figure I need to make a couple 22 hornet loading blocks.
Unread 08-04-2024, 02:48 PM   #7
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Started on the new block I bought. Made two 10mm blocks (9mm will work in it was well) and two 22 hornet blocks. Still have to sand and varnish the last two I cut out of the block. Sanding out the the old previous cut scars on the blocks are a pain. Used a 1/2” bit for 10mm and 3/8” for 22 Hornet. The little piece of the block I cut from the neck will hold 15 Hornet shells. Figured it was better then tossing it.

Unread 08-05-2024, 03:58 PM   #8
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Rest are done from the cutting block.

I’ll have to make some with shallower holes for 9 mm…then I’m done.
Unread 08-28-2024, 09:31 AM   #9
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Found a block half price at the thrift store the other day for $2.48. I messed up a few holes, but other than that, it seemed to turn out pretty decent. Made the holes just big enough for 44 mag and smaller.