Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Old dogs and pups
Unread 07-04-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Old dogs and pups

We lost "Captain Hooker" several months ago, a faithful friend and best dove dog I've ever had, good on ducks too. He just ran out of days, comes to us all. The cure for broken hearts is....a puppy! We now have a 9 week old terrorist roaming the property, a beautiful Black Lab pup named "Mate". We got him from some folks over in Louisiana right on the edge of the Atachafalya Basin near Lafayette. Awesome litter, I got first pick male. Funny, when I registered him and got his pedigree nowhere did I see any alligators listed but we're suspicious! He's a very toothy critter! He's taken to my 19 month old female "Skipper" and learned to seriously respect my 10 year old female "Mahi". She's rolled him like a donut several times, all snarl but not even a nip.
2 years ago I had 3 well mannered, solid hunting dogs. Enjoyed quiet evenings and uneventful walks. After having 2 old dogs pass on on us the house is now in semi constant turmoil, no shoe is safe unwatched, some serious kennel work was required. WOW! LOTS of training for the foreseeable future but the dogs make my world a much better place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4845.JPEG (428.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5777.jpg (477.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3608.jpg (497.0 KB, 0 views)
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2024, 12:27 PM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,117 Times in 3,214 Posts

Keith, never a dull moment. Count your blessings!

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Blessed indeed. I can't imagine the house without dogs under foot. While a trial we're enjoying the 2 young dogs hugely. Our old female is sure we've lost our minds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2024, 03:07 PM   #4
Ken Hill
PGCA Member

Member Info

Congrats on your new Mate. Unfortunately they grow up fast and you’ll miss these days soon.

Ken
Ken Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken Hill For Your Post:
Unread 07-08-2024, 03:08 PM   #5
Chris Pope
PGCA Member

Member Info

Can't wait to hear about "Mate's" first year hunting! Both dogs in the photo are beautiful.
Our 16 month old Griff was a "terrorist" for the first 9-12 months and has since graduated to "Class Clown".
Chris Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Pope For Your Post:
Unread 07-12-2024, 12:37 PM   #6
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Well, all the dogs and my wife and I survived the hurricane. We took a direct "eyewall" hit, winds 90+ at the house! After the trash cans and huge tree limbs stopped flying around Houston looks like a war zone. My back yard had 6 to 8 inches of water and the two young dogs had a ball. Mud and water flying everywhere. The puppy looked like a mud ball. The big dogs know all about "towel" and love being toweled off. The pup not so much. Trying to dry a 10 week old lab is an adventure all by itself!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 07-12-2024, 01:04 PM   #7
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,117 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
Well, all the dogs and my wife and I survived the hurricane. We took a direct "eyewall" hit, winds 90+ at the house! After the trash cans and huge tree limbs stopped flying around Houston looks like a war zone. My back yard had 6 to 8 inches of water and the two young dogs had a ball. Mud and water flying everywhere. The puppy looked like a mud ball. The big dogs know all about "towel" and love being toweled off. The pup not so much. Trying to dry a 10 week old lab is an adventure all by itself!
So glad you’re all okay. We have friends in Houston still without power. Is the water safe to be in there?

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2024, 01:36 PM   #8
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Our tap water is fine, some boil notices in the MUDs around the area. I would stay away from the bayous and surf for a while yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2024, 09:17 AM   #9
John Albano
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Our dog Mollie will be three in a couple of weeks. She is mellowing out and we are starting to think about keeping her. Love those labs. Hang in there, it will get better.
John Albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #10
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

We've been raising labs for better than 40 years. You start with an infant puppy, so cute and nearly helpless. Then comes the "destructo" stage and house breaking. Some figure it out quickly, some take a while. Young Mate is doing quite well, is now going to the door, your fair warning! Then comes the "teenage delinquent" stage where lots of training is your only hope for survival. My Skipper girl is in that phase now. You're right, about 3 or so they settle down and keeping them begins to sound like a good idea. By 4, if you did it right, you have a great companion, guardian of the house, and solid working dog.
For folks that haven't had labs my Skipper dog would have been a monster! You've drowned her in a bucket and gone and bought a small poodle. Jury is still out on Mate BUT, we've done this all before with great success. I have full confidence once we get thru the trials early on he's going to make us a great dog.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: