Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-26-2024, 01:27 PM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,751 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
I've gone the other way ..... made a major reduction of the collection over the past two years. Most all of them were little used guns and I kept a good representation of the makers I like. So far, no new SxS's for me during 2024 and I did resist the great urge to buy one on Gunbroker just a few days ago.
You got hit by the “Corona Effect” I see with that MX-20 ! While I’m a Krieghoff person in O/U’s , Daryl’s MX-20 and MX-28 are nice feeling guns as I’m sure yours is as well . I’ve kinda come To the conclusion if I’m able to get a shotgun to the Philippines I’m better of taking a K-80 over the VH 12 2 barrel set and a Fox pin gun . Just from the parts aspect alone . They’ve got decent mechanic gunsmiths meaning replace readily available parts but if a Parker or aFox broke over there I’m afraid I’d be down for the count .
Unread 05-26-2024, 01:53 PM   #12
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,471 Times in 2,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
You got hit by the “Corona Effect” I see with that MX-20 ! While I’m a Krieghoff person in O/U’s , Daryl’s MX-20 and MX-28 are nice feeling guns as I’m sure yours is as well . I’ve kinda come To the conclusion if I’m able to get a shotgun to the Philippines I’m better of taking a K-80 over the VH 12 2 barrel set and a Fox pin gun . Just from the parts aspect alone . They’ve got decent mechanic gunsmiths meaning replace readily available parts but if a Parker or aFox broke over there I’m afraid I’d be down for the count .
If you are worrying about your gun breaking then sell the K80, the Parker and the Fox and buy a Perazzi on the MX8 platform. If it ever breaks you can service it yourself.
Unread 05-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #13
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Nothing high grade, nothing original, nothing to see here. Move along.

Except a 28GA repro that is original.

Last edited by William Woods; 05-26-2024 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Left out
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #14
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,966 Times in 3,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L. Martin View Post
Got a 20ga DH a few weeks ago, 26" 5lbs 13.8oz .All original condition
That's a beauty, James. I like a short barreled gun for many upland situations. Did you get it as a grouse/woodcock gun? That's a great weight to carry for a long day afield. Congratulations.
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2024, 04:43 PM   #15
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,644 Times in 399 Posts

Garry, Yes it's for grouse and woodcock. Like many older 20ga Parkers it's F&F but shoots great with polywad spreader loads .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2024, 06:30 PM   #16
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,798 Times in 1,267 Posts

But if you decide to buy a Parker reproduction, make sure it fits you. They all shoot high.ni found that out the hard way
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allen newell For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2024, 06:32 PM   #17
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,416 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
You got hit by the “Corona Effect” I see with that MX-20 ! While I’m a Krieghoff person in O/U’s , Daryl’s MX-20 and MX-28 are nice feeling guns as I’m sure yours is as well………. .
Actually Craig I was shooting Perazzis for serious sporting clays for a few years before I first met my friend Daryl at the 2008 Vintage Cup when it was at Pintail Point in MD. I’d moved up from Euro Browning 425’s to Krieghoffs in 12 and 20, and then to Perazzis. My last two P guns were both MX2000’s bought from Andrew Litt in the UK, a 12 and a 20 gauge, both 32”. Then I got more heavily involved in vintage SxS’s and the Perazzis were gathering dust in the safe over several years. In moments of weakness I traded them off against two high grade, high condition double-guns and got some cash back to boot. But afterwards I regretted letting those P guns go, and now that I’ve slashed my collection of vintage guns, I’ve put some of that scratch into two Perazzis. One is a brand new MX8 12 gauge/32” that I’d posted on the forum a month or so ago, and the second is this used MX20. They’ll be my main sporting clays guns for regular shooting with my gang who aren't SxS guys. But with all that said, Daryl did have an influence on me to get the MX20 in 20g rather than the larger MX8 frame with 20g/32” barrels as my MX2000 20-gauge from Litt was configured.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Srebro For Your Post:
Unread 05-26-2024, 06:40 PM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,751 Times in 3,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
If you are worrying about your gun breaking then sell the K80, the Parker and the Fox and buy a Perazzi on the MX8 platform. If it ever breaks you can service it yourself.
Almost forty years ago I wanted a Perazzi as I was shooting a 3200 . But when I made the trip to Allem’s Gunworks in Zionsville PA I picked up and tried the feel of a Perazzi MX-8 , a K-32 , a K-80 and a like new Remington 3200 1 of 1000 . All were new except the 3200 . The K guns felt the best and pretty close to the feel of the old 3200 I was used to shooting . The new K-32 with Kolar tubes and Americase was several thousand less than the K-80 set up the same . So the K-32 it was , without a doubt I shot that gun better then any other shotgun I’ve ever owned . And the fact that I had it stocked high and just switched barrels to shoot skeet or trap made it even better . The feel was always the same . While I’m sure a spaghetti gun would be fine I think I’ll stick with a kraut gun
Unread 05-26-2024, 07:04 PM   #19
Bob Brown
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've been pretty good at holding to my self imposed buying ban for the last year or two, but occasionally one slips in. One on its way now is a 1928 GHE 12 with 32" barrels, double triggers, and a ventilated rib. The serialization book has it as a TI3 with the option 21. That would have been a DHE with ventilated rib on Titanic barrels with a splinter forend. Photos show it's clearly GH engraving with a Parker Special Steel rib inscription and an almost certainly after market large forend. We'll see when she gets here. I'll hold off requesting a letter in case her arrival raises any new questions.
I don't get that many opportunities to pick up unusual Parkers in Canada. I joined the PGCA ln 2008 and I've never actually seen a ventilated rib Parker in any grade. Looking forward to trying her out.
Bob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bob Brown For Your Post:
Unread 05-27-2024, 06:42 AM   #20
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,638 Times in 1,278 Posts

Bob, I think you’ll like your GHE vent rib gun.

On another note: I had a trap buddy say to me, you shoot that Parker side by side pretty good, don’t you want to try a Perazzi? My reply was, I might if I could hit anything with an over and under.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post: