Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns

Notices

Unread 05-14-2024, 08:29 PM   #11
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,010 Times in 1,429 Posts

Only question I have is the case colors on the sides of the action and action flats. Quite a lot of pink colors. Hard to tell colors on a highly engraved gun. Hope its not cyanide colors. Even if it has cyanide colors, it's quite a gun.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2024, 09:25 PM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,734 Times in 4,645 Posts

They are cyanide colors, so at least those have been redone on the gun at one time. Yes, it is hard to see with all of the engraving, but the water table is clear as can be.
Unread 05-14-2024, 10:16 PM   #13
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

David your SA is fabulous! The only problem is that your thread has about ruined several computers from all the saliva dripping from the mouths of the respondents! That is one great Parker and it just shows that there are still great guns just sitting around waiting for someone to take an interest. Many on here are interested in this one!!
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. Scott Hanes For Your Post:
Unread 05-14-2024, 10:31 PM   #14
J. Scott Hanes
PGCA Member

Member Info

David, are the initials on the grip cap your father's?
J. Scott Hanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2024, 08:59 AM   #15
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thank you all for your input. The documentation request is in the mail and I will report back when I have that information.

The guns were collected by my grandfather. He was not a wealthy person at all and I would guess these were his most valued possessions. I shot a few of the SxS guns at times with him in the 1980's - I do not believe they have been used since and likely have not seen the light of day but a couple of times in the last 30+ years. I am honored by you all taking interest in this gun.

I think he would get a good laugh out of being the old country lawyer showing up to a gun show in his barely running Chrysler with a German Short Hair riding shotgun and a layer of dog hair and dirt so thick in the car you could hardly tell the interior color. But out of that car he would pull this gun and maybe another and give a little smile and say - oh its just something i had behind the door.

He was a great man from a great generation. Here is a picture of my other favorite gun from my little collection.. Taken in Alsace France December 1944.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carstens_cropped_france.jpg (44.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg carstens_flag_display.jpg (578.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by David Safris; 05-15-2024 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: add photo
David Safris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2024, 09:05 AM   #16
David
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Scott Hanes View Post
David, are the initials on the grip cap your father's?
This gun would have been made around the time my grandfather was born. So there is no chance this is original to our family. The initials do not match to anyone I can think of. He grew up on a farm in rural Nebraska and I dont think they had the money to buy a chicken let alone a fancy shot gun. After WWII he had a law practice in a small town and made enough to get by. I wish i had him write a story about each gun and how he came to own them .. but that is lost to time. My mom knows a little about the guns but nothing more than family stories. I can only imagine he was buying them from Field & Stream ads or something like that. I have no memory of him every traveling to a gun show out of state. But I he was most passionate about Parker guns and knew exactly the quality and importance of the guns. That part of it was very deliberate..
David Safris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to David Safris For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2024, 09:47 AM   #17
John Davis
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,567 Times in 1,270 Posts

He had a good eye for guns.

"Oh Christ, just shoot the damn thing."
Destry L. Hoffard
John Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Davis For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2024, 10:02 AM   #18
Trap3
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,129 Times in 272 Posts

David... I looked through some old Trapshooting average books to see if I could find a listing for your grandfather, Fred Carstens. The only Carstens I found listed was a Charles from Wisner NE. (shooting in the late 20`s-early 30`s) Thanks for sharing the photos of your "great" Parker Trap gun and history of your grandfather...

Randy Davis
Randy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy Davis For Your Post:
Unread 05-15-2024, 11:38 AM   #19
TOOL MAN
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,938 Times in 423 Posts

Gaawwwddddd, how I love these "out-of-the-woodwork" tales!! My kingdom for a DGJ redivivus!!

David, your grandad was a "Hellcat," a member of one, kick-ass armored division that fought from Southern France all the way to Berlin. I'm betting a month after that photo was taken he was in the fight of his life, waist-deep in the Battle of Herrlisheim (Google it) where an entire tank battalion from the 12th Armored Div. vanished from existence.

Another engrossing tale like countless others courtesy of the Greatest Generation. One day, a Nebraska farm boy, a few months later he's on an epic, momentous crusade to obliterate the most depraved, evil-minded race the world has ever known. Thanks for the morning goosebumps!! And oh, BTW, a beautiful Parker to boot!!
Unread 05-15-2024, 12:33 PM   #20
GunnerGrilli
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Davis View Post
David... I looked through some old Trapshooting average books to see if I could find a listing for your grandfather, Fred Carstens. The only Carstens I found listed was a Charles from Wismer NE. (shooting in the late 20`s-early 30`s) Thanks for sharing the photos of your "great" Parker Trap gun and history of your grandfather...

Randy Davis

Randy, is that Wisner, NB? I don't see a Wismer.............let me know. Thanks!!

Bobby
GunnerGrilli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GunnerGrilli For Your Post: