Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig
Why is it that there is more activity on the FB group "Parker Collectors" than there is on our own PGCA Web Forum?
Any thoughts on this?.
|
Referring to your original question, above, has turned into more of a commentary on Facebook. There's lots of validity in the comments, but my simple take on the original question is, simply, Facebook has a vastly larger audience than our forum.
While I agree there is a lot of unsubstantiated info on the Facebook "Parker" group, our members have the benefit of, in my opinion, our vastly more well informed wealth of information on the PGCA forum. Like anything else on the internet, one has to use their own judgement as to the worth, and validity, of anything they read on the internet. Anyone with a computer, can say whatever they like, with nothing to back it up. Here, I have trust in the fact that the cumulative knowledge base filters out much of the heresay.
I frequent several public and private groups on Facebook because it's a universal meeting place for people with similar interests. Those groups I follow are for interests I have, many of which are lifelong. I'm pretty knowledgeable in those subjects, but it's easy to see where someone completely new to the subject won't have the experience to 'filter' the good info from the junk. I just shake my head at those who don't use the old fashioned resources, like people, and books, to begin building their knowledge base.