Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Member
Brett Hoop
PGCA Member
 
Brett Hoop's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 592
Thanks: 1,591
Thanked 901 Times in 370 Posts

Default

Giving a single “Best Day” would be impossible. I have been blessed to have been started right by a hunting family that owned property managed for wildlife probation. And traveling for additional hunting was just a normal course of planning. Further blessed with an understanding wife that has allowed me to “make a plan”. Many plans, many dreams, many places.
Currently nothing drives me more than a young Setter working a covert where grouse, and as Evans called them cock, make a life. I am my best and feeling most alive watching a young dog quartering, head high and out in front. When that dog stacks up in a scent induced quivering trance or I can see his wheels turning trying to figure out just what to do about a moving grouse, I know he is living out his dreams while fulfilling mine. Those are best days. We do something everyday to work for those best days.

Harold Pickens and I work on doing our part and shoot a few sport clays those are best days.

As C.OB. Says the best grouse gun is the next one, I try and make tomorrow the best one.
Brett Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brett Hoop For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2019, 08:06 AM   #2
Member
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Garry L Gordon's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,004
Thanks: 17,294
Thanked 13,628 Times in 4,087 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hoop View Post
I try and make tomorrow the best one.
Brett, your entire post was excellent, but this last phrase in particular is most poignant for me. Thanks for your post.
__________________
"Doubtless the good Lord could have made a better game bird than bobwhite, and better country to hunt him in...but equally doubtless, he never did." -- Guy de la Valdene (from A Handful of Feathers )

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 04-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
Member
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Garry L Gordon's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,004
Thanks: 17,294
Thanked 13,628 Times in 4,087 Posts

Default

Phil, Thanks for taking the time to write this down to share with us. Do you by chance have a photo from that day?

Reading over these responses reminds me of just how much more hunting is than taking game. Too bad non-hunters — and especially anti-hunters — don’t (or won’t try to) understand this.
__________________
"Doubtless the good Lord could have made a better game bird than bobwhite, and better country to hunt him in...but equally doubtless, he never did." -- Guy de la Valdene (from A Handful of Feathers )

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.