Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
all ga gun
Unread 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default all ga gun

was sitting in the house the other day did not want to work on any think in particular so i seen the old ten parker setting in the corner...decided what if i were out hunting and ran out of 10 ga short shells and it be to far to go home and get some more short tens as we all know they aint sold none of these in years....wellthe anwser to this is i always carry along a set of them chamber mates in 12 ga...bout any store carrys this ga ammo...okwere out hunting and you run outa 10 ga shells the quail are really working good you run outa 12 ga shells its 40 miles back to townwhat you gonna do...well ive come up with a pretty good idea...your buddy thats hunting with you is shooting a sixteen gauge and has a extra box he offers you....well most people know you dont shoot 16 ga shells in a chamber mate thats made for conversion for the 10 ga to 12 ga well heres the long and short of it...you can fire the 16 ga in the 12 ga chamber mates made for the ten ga....first take and cut the plastic from a 12 ga hullat the brass or steel end..then split the plastic hull lentgh wise...then you can slip the 12 ga plastic sleeve you just made over the 16 ga shell....then push the 16 ga shell into the chamber mate insert it into the10 ga gun...its a little tricky but you can now close the gun slowly your ready to get some more shots off...you can even do this with the 20 ga if you use the plastic from the 12 ga over a16 hull over a 20 ga shell....i fired a box of 16 ga shells in the old ten then a box of 20 ga also...youd be surprized at how good the patterns are of a 16 in the ten gun... and the 20 ga was had good patterns too....now i know most all of us carry enough shell and usally a extra gun...but hey sometimes things do happen like running out of shells in a ten or other gauge gun... heres a true example of this happening...my dad in 1959 went on his first turkey hunt in the BANKHEAD FORREST in the state of ALABAMA..he was hunting with a ten ga LEFEVER HAMERLLESS DOUBLE... he only took 6 shell said thats all he d need...he said turkey hunting was slow that morning but said the rattle snakes were out a plenty after using up 4 shells on the snakes he said he knew that he only had two rounds left but that was still enough for a turkey...well after dinner he saidthere wasa large hawk come by and his buddy said nows your chance to try that old ten out...this was back in the days when it was considered a quails or chickins a favor to dispatch a hawk... well my dad said he never thought about it being his last two shells yes he killed that hawk with the 2 nd shot and his friend said he could not believe the distance .....well he said now he was in a fix no body else hunting with a ten back then in fact most people had never seen one....well for a minute it looked like turkey hunting was over for him that day....his friend was hunting with a browning sweet sixteen....hed luckly had carried more shells than my dadmy dad borrowed some of them shells he cut the paper off the ten ga hull and yes he had to put a little paper arond theshell to make a good fit....well that evening he called up his first big tom and killed it with the 16 ga shell in the old ten...now he did not have a set of ga mates as i did but he was resoursefull and done the best he could...now theres a lot of ifs and maybes in this storey but there the chance this could happen to one of us... good luck with you hunting....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote