Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Hammer Guns

Notices

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-05-2026, 03:07 PM   #16
Member
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,186
Thanks: 113
Thanked 1,716 Times in 633 Posts

Default

Interesting thread. In addition to the 12 ga guns coming normally with 11 ga tubes, the 10 ga came normally with 9 ga tubes. This according to The Parker Story. I have five pre 1880 10 ga guns and a similar number of 12 ga guns of the same period. Every gun I own measured exactly to the 11 ga and 9 ga specs, although I have had a few of them cleaned up. I have no doubt that the gun was originally a 12 ga with 11 ga tubes and was rebored by Parker to as close to 10 ga as they thought safe. They obviously did not get to the full bore dimension but did rechamber.

An interesting side discussion is whether they targeted 9 ga or 10 ga. They ended the practice within a couple of years of the gun being made. The date of the conversion isn't listed unless I missed it. I would presume they would do the conversion work under their current system of using correct bore sizes. If it had been attempted when the 9 gauge tubes were the norm, they wouldn't have been able to come close to the standard.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.