Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
So now I’m confused…
Unread 06-21-2024, 09:47 PM   #1
Cory Rams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default So now I’m confused…

Well, better late than never, I guess. I’ve made some post here on hand loading for my 1873 Charles Daly for turkey loads. Got a pretty darn good pattern using cut down and roll crimped once fired RST (cheddite) hulls. I started my reloading adventure for shotguns in this 10 gauge shortly after I tried some 2 7/8” rst ammo that didnt pattern worth a darn in my gun. After cutting down once fired halls and roll crimping them they are probably a half inch shorter. So I would say they’re 2 1/2 inches give or take with the roll crimp. Well color, me stupid because I didn’t know the number 65 on the bottom of my barrels was the millimeter measurement for the chamber. Just found this out two days ago after owning the gun since the 90s but to be fair I’ve never shot this gun up until a few years ago and probably have only shot 30 RST factory 2 7/8” loaded hulls through it. Chambered fine and ejected fine. I watched the YouTuber the day before yesterday. Talk about the number 70 on his gun, which was in millimeters which made me look at mine underneath and I saw a number 65 which is the only stamp on my barrel. I measured inside both chambers today and they are 2.775” to the forcing cones. I never gave it much thought because back in the 90s. I took it to a local gunsmith here in town and he measured the chambers and told me it was chambered for a 2 7/8” 10 gauge ammo. Well, lesson learned and thank God nothing bad happened. I just luckily ended up cutting the fold crimps off of the RST hulls and roll crimping them. In the process my loaded hulls are around the 2.5” mark by fate. It’s what I’ve been shooting in it since I basically was trying to burn up the RST ammo that didn’t shoot worth the darn. I’ll have almost 2 full boxes of it which if I can’t trade it to somebody, I’ll end up, dismantling it and cutting the hulls short and reloading it.

So with all that said don’t see any information on reloading 65mm/2.5” 10 gauge ammo. Call since day one of reloading for 10 gauge. I’ve been cutting my hulls short instead of stacking them and just using the data on here. I’m sure that’s what everybody else does. I was just curious if 65 mm chambers have the same max pressure ratings vs longer 2 7/8” chamberings which is what 73 or 74 mm chsmbers?
Cory Rams is online now   Reply With Quote