Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Incredibly stupid question.
Unread 05-16-2024, 01:21 AM   #1
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Incredibly stupid question.

Basically, how do you do it?

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, and a house with land is incredibly expensive. I think private land is the best way to go bird hunting. You can manage your land as you please and also you control the extent of hunting pressure.

But, although I thought I would have solved this problem decades ago, I haven’t.

I live on a third of an acre.

What is the minimum amount of land I should be looking for, but again, it’s likely to be prohibitive in cost.

I really can’t move because my wife and I have to have something called a JOB. I would like a good hunting dog but I can’t work from home at all, despite this being supposedly widespread and my wife rarely can. I think it’s unfair to keep a dog cooped up in the house all day and, also, where can I work it?

How do I even find public land for bird hunting?

The best I can figure out is public land for deer and for fishing but the pressure is intense. I haven’t had a shot at a deer in years and fly fishing netted two trout last year, one too small to keep, and this year, none. Unlike last year, I haven’t even seen a trout. I don’t go out opening day for anything due to crowds, but this year so far I haven’t even seen one of the 3.2 million trout stocked by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania this year.

But I digress. Let’s stick to how to do the bird dog thing with the life happens part getting in the way and how to find a place to pheasant hunt? I think grouse, woodcock, and quail would be just about impossible.

And I apologize for this incredibly dumb question, especially considering how old I am.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post: