Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Southern Illinois.....
Unread 01-11-2024, 04:42 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,190 Posts

Default Southern Illinois.....

With this big freeze coming on, it looks like we might get a little trickle of them short necked Wisconsin style flight geese down home in Southern Illinois. We call them short neckers because about all we kill down there anymore is locals and they're all mixed giant strain so they've got a big long neck. You always know when you've got a real wild one, their necks are half as long.

They're like hunting ghosts these days, they stopped really traveling that far south years ago. But a hard hard freeze will sometimes bring a few down still, I've aways thought the old birds in the flock that still know where Southern Illinois is.

Flight geese have been sighted over St. Louis and I've had one report of a few possibly being seen at Crab Orchard yesterday evening.

My old friend Sal is calling saying I better come. And I'm certainly tempted, but I almost feel bad killing one anymore, they come that far south so seldom, it seems vaguely wrong.

I guess I'm getting old and sentimental. But maybe I'll go, just for a day or so. The Preacher (my infamous magnum 10 gauge) has mostly leaned in the corner since September. I'm sure the old boy wouldn't mind some excercise. It's a long drive in bad weather and I'm just not mad at 'em anymore. I might just set home and think about the good old says when we were young and we thought the wild geese would come forever.

We shall see.

A little part of me and Sal kinda died when they stopped coming. It's mentioned about every time we talk, Remember that time at *insert name of long gone goose club*......
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is online now   Reply With Quote