Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Northwoods Rendezvous (A "Brooding" Indian Summer)
Unread 10-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,353 Times in 3,277 Posts

Default Northwoods Rendezvous (A "Brooding" Indian Summer)

We are back in our old haunts in Northern Minnesota. As each season has its own character, this was has become another to remember. The weather has been, as it almost always is, the star of the show -- below freezing mornings followed by warmish, sun-filled days. It's hard not to stop and admire the country, but the dogs are seemingly immune to aesthetic musings.

And...we are finding birds. I've not tallied the flush/hour count yet, but on one afternoon walk with our puppy, Rill, we flushed 26 birds in two hours. We've encountered lots of broods, as many as 6 birds flushing from one location. Hard to keep your nerves when so many flush...and almost never at once.

This is Prairie Rill's first hunt. She did well on planted birds in our training sessions back in September, but she's still figuring out that there are wild birds in "them thar woods." She's made lots of progress, even making a short retrieve of a bird I managed to shoot for her. Aspen has picked up where he left off last season, and now, at 7 years, is in his prime. Having lost Alder back in July, there is still that emptiness that comes with a dog's passing, especially in the Cabin when we settle in for the night.

I've been using my 1904 DH 16. It's a heavy 1 frame gun with 26 inch barrels and needs spreader loads for the grouse woods, but it's a delight to take a bird with a gun with such history and character. I'm reminded of Craig L.'s recent thread about loving guns with good, honest wear. We'll switch guns next week to get some that sit in the safe a chance to make some memories.

I hope all of you who are able to get out this year with your Parkers and pups have success, however you measure it. Be safe...and post pictures and accounts of your hunts. I really look forward to those.

Photo Key:

1. Aspen has turned into a very fine bird dog, in spite of not having the bird numbers of his predecessors (nor the energetic handler they had)

2. Rill's first hunt has gone well, but not without its puppy moments. She is still figuring out this "grouse thing." Having good bird numbers is a blessing.

3. I managed to shoot three birds for her on a walk from which we flushed 4 broods and a total of 26 birds. To say she was excited is an extreme understatement. Pop would say, "she likes her birds!"

4. I love the patina on this old 16, and its short barrels...and, I really admire this color phase in a Northwoods grouse.

5&6. Although the weather has turned rainy, I'm grateful that we had some glorious weather days to savor after a long, hot summer of waiting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.jpg (629.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4915.jpg (643.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4947.jpg (536.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4948.jpg (544.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4836.jpg (487.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4890.jpg (534.3 KB, 2 views)

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote