Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,221 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lewis View Post
... I sure hope the powder is OK?
So will the guy who reads the chart, runs out to buy heavy modern field loads - and ends up missing a few fingers '..when we let them know about when they ask what they can shoot..'. I'd never recommend anyone shooting anything. Period. Why??

I haven't seen the gun, measured wall thickness, seen the condition of the bore, size, dia, wood condition, whatever - all of it... And even if I had - would defer that to a QUALIFIED gunsmith... And I can assure you - no qualified gunsmith will make a prognosis based on pictures, descriptions, whatever - certainly an Internet description.. They'll require seeing it in person...

And oh - BTW - 4dr of FFF (about 108/109gr) behind a 1 1/8 load (12 GA) is about 6900~7000 PSI (primer depending). Modern field loads are "how much higher" (see below - I never ask a question that I'm not pretty certain of the answer.. That's just me, tho') ..??

In short - I'd never suggest shooting heavy modern loads until the Parker is checked out by someone qualified. - And I'd never tell them what they can shoot, as I'm NOT a qualified gunsmith..

And oh #2.... Just to see the pressure differences..???

3dr of BP is about 4900 PSI... (7.5 shot - 1 1/8 OZ) ~1,205 FPS
3dr Equivalent (21gr WW 450AA (great powder!!) of SMOKELESS is about 9600 PSI - ~1,205 FPS

So, here is the next question....

Since the Parker Reference load table is all Black Powder... Anyone know the PROOF load for BP?? Want to guess if it was lower than even the 9,600 PSI smokeless load listed above..??

Best to all,

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunkle For Your Post: