Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 04-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #22
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,784 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
For an equivalent charge weight, there will be more #9 pellets than say #6's. Assuming those two charges are started with the same velocity, each charge group will have the same energy in total. Since there are more pellets in the #9 charge, individual pellets will carry less energy than their big brother 6's, and therefore will slow down more quickly due to wind resistance
Don't think so. The link below shows the velocity. At 57 yards, the #5 lead is 526 fps if I'm reading the chart which is now somewhat obscured a Photobucket overlay. At 71 yards the #9 TSS is 537 fps. At these respective distances, both have 1.5 inches of penetration in the gel, due to the smaller pellet entering the gel has less resistance. So the TSS in 9 more than equals to the 5s fps at the same distance. In the thread it quotes Federal where it says that TSS is 56% denser than lead. Lead is 11g/cc and TSS is 18g/cc so with a difference of 7 and 7 % 11 = .63. So lets say somewhere in the 60% denser. Now two pellets, one small and one large leave at the same velocity, but one is more dense/compact than the other. Which one slows down the fastest?

Here is another quote I wrote before: "The Tungsten 9s have the same penetration at 70 yards as lead 9s do at 15 yards" This is what the chart shows, and I am a believer. Below are two threads I previously posted so I'm not going to beat the dead horse. And I had a #9 pellet go clean through a turkey's breast, not at the top, but at the bottom where it is not too thick. But it went through it. Neither lead or Hevi-shot at that distance will do that. I know.

Lastly, I will add a target I shot a week ago with a 20 gauge A5 using only one ounce of 9s at a measured 40 yards through a .030 full choke and not a turkey choke. The distance was measured and not stepped off. I think 27 hits to the head and neck from a lowly one ounce of TSS would be more than sufficient to turn his head to nothing but broken bones.

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads...sities.267784/

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23838

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...t=24219&page=2

From Federal Ammunition:

Features

• HEAVYWEIGHT® TSS payload with advanced buffering material
• As much as twice the pellet count of lead No. 5 loads of the same weight
• 22 percent denser material than standard tungsten; 56 percent denser than lead
• FLITECONTROL FLEX™ wad provides extremely tight, consistent patterns through standard and ported turkey chokes*
• Roll crimp and clear card wad keeps buffering material in place
• Full-length wads prevent direct contact of the extra-hard pellets and the bore, protecting the barrel
• 5-count pack
• 12-gauge, 20-gauge and .410 loads available
• A portion of the proceeds are donated to the National Wild Turkey Federation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200423_162703.jpg (491.4 KB, 3 views)
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote