Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Changes in social ideas/ interest, and economics are two big factors. Gun enthusiast are a small group of our population and side by side folks are an even smaller percentage of that population. That group is aging and we are unfortuntately loosing more than we are growing. I do believe we had a big bubble that started back in the 1990's and was carried into about 2006/ 2007. Events like the Vintage Cup and Southern Side by Side and other side by side shoots were born and created a venue for us to do our thing. Even more influential was the birth of collectors associations, ie: PGCA, that have been our base/ home of operations and center for information/ etc. Yes the internet has made the sell and purchasing of guns more readily available and conventient.
All of these things play a role in how it is all going/ will go/ etc. IMO the base upon which it all matters is in exposing people to the guns. We as Parker enthusiasts are not only entrusted with the guns but also a responsibility to "pass along the torch" to our neighbors, younger generations, sons/ daughters/ wives (girl friends), etc. Opportunities exist. It is in how we perceive these opportunities that will determine the direction of our path. I believe, and maybe I am wrong ( I know I am wrong more than I am right), but I believe we hold the future of gun collecting in our own hands. I am certain it will not be conducted in the same manner as it has been in the past. Times they are a changing and we must be willing to adapt and adjust our course so we do not become extinct.
The prices for guns/ collectibles will vary as things go their cycle. People must see the object as valueable for it to hold any worth and be of any importance.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Truitt For Your Post: