Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
6 FRAME HAMMERLESS
Unread 11-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,415 Times in 295 Posts

Default 6 FRAME HAMMERLESS

I was able to hunt the 1909 6 Frame hammerless 32 “ PH for the first time yesterday. Some may have read my mention of this gun on an earlier post

THE BEAST has arrived and she is ready for the marsh - I had it double checked by Craig Larter - she's is a 32" hammerless 10 bore on a "sturdy" #6 frame. Minimum wall thickness -.130 and a healthy .270 and chambers edge. The gun has been used but not abused. Mallard's beware!!

The gun was shipped to Seattle Hardware for a man named S.A. Labarre of Olympia – It was hunted hard with the checkering on the for-end warn near smooth. Brian Dudley cleaned up the gun and re-checkered it for me being careful to leave most of the scars and blemishes from years past at my request. A fine job and the gun is as stunning as it is imposing! - Thank you Brian!
I imagine Mr. Labarre as a “mountain of a man” to order such a gun. His specific orders were for 4’s at 50 yards and 2’s at 60 yards full and full – he paid $10 extra for the chokes – a considerable amount to add to a $65 gun.

I hunted with #2 RST 1 ¼ oz loads yesterday and reached out further than I normally would. 4 drake Mallards fell hard at 30+ yards (My last of the 4 at 40+ just before we picked up our decoys)
I hunt 20 gauge early and 16 gauge mid-season jumping to a big bore (12 or 10) late when the redlegs come down so I am used to changing guns throughout the season. This gun however, was a dramatic jump in weight and dimensions (13Lbs with 8Lb 1 oz 32” barrels) and I was aprehensive at first light. But it swung as smooth as any gun I have ever shouldered and every bird I fired at fell. In short, I am hooked!

The Beast will be going back tomorrow and until the season ends 5 days from now. Perhaps if things work out I will get a chance to hunt with Craig and His 6 fame hammer gun (even bigger ). More pictures are sure to follow if that works out!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161129_092045.jpg (596.7 KB, 40 views)

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote