Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Damascus Barrels & Steel

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #28
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

All the gunsmiths I know don't use a grinder, and there are a couple of very good ones. They all use an adjustable reamer, and all of them have six flues. I've read that when Remington bought Parker Bros. the Parker gunsmiths were upset that Remington did the final choke work from the muzzle end where as Parker did it from the breech end. If so, who's to say chokes can't be reamed from the muzzle. The problem you run into is if a lot is removed the parallel section will be quite long - maybe up to 4 or 5 inches. It's the thought of some that any more than 3/4" or so will result in a bigger pattern but with a " hot core ", so a whole lot isn't gained. Then you'd have to remove some parallel from the breech end with a tapper. Only the pattern board would tell. But if you think about it, an adjustable reamer has a tapper to it, so it will naturally center itself and be concentric to the original bore. I do my work from the muzzle, so this thread got me to wondering if the finish work had any run out. In the six doubles I checked, I couldn't find more than .003 from side to side than up and down. One could go to the trouble of setting up a lathe, but I find it unnecessary. It would be a good idea if one wanted to move the point of impact. Just my thoughts and humble opinion.