Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Ed:
I was just following opinions on another thread. So my bubble is intact. However, there appears to be an interesting range of opinion and insight so far!

As I see it, members have a few key positions. But they also pose some dichotomies:

• Japanese guns have no soul. But how about American guns? Or English? Or German?

• Soul can come through owner involvement/interaction. But is that soul or sentiment? And would someone recognize that quality 50 years from now?

• Soul can come via the wear and tear of use and age. But does that give a worn and torn Stevens soul? Or just a bad complexion?

• Enduring service can impart soul. But just because a $500 Trojan on Gunbroker served its original owner faultlessly, does it have soul?

• Craftsmanship and provenance could grant soul. But does the Czar’s Invincible have soul? Or notoriety?

• Does sentiment equal soul? I’d love to have my childhood Stevens/Fox back. But its value to me is personal. Is that soul? It would probably be a clunker to anyone else.

• Does efficacy equal soul? If a person makes every shot with a cut barrel VH, is that soul? Or simply good fit combined with human skill?

• Does soul come from fine materials and craftsmanship? If so, a Japanese Browning might compare to a AH Parker in soul. (Or a Toyota pickup might have as much soul as an S-Class Mercedes.)

• Does soul come from a name? Parker made about 250,000 guns. Does each one have a soul because it’s a Parker? Purdey made a fraction of that number. Does each Purdey have a soul?

I don’t know any of the answers. This may be a proverbial search for the Holy Grail.

(apologies to Monty Python… )
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post: