Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Single trigger to double trigger conversion.
Unread 05-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,795 Times in 4,658 Posts

Default Single trigger to double trigger conversion.

This thread is a quick documentation of a VH that I have in the shop. The gun was fitted with some sort of SST previously (a miller type design) and the customer wanted it converted back to standard double triggers.

The gun itself was in great original condition. about 80% case color. The original trigger plate was modified to fit the SST and was poorly case colored and it stuck out like a sore thumb on the gun.

IMG_5702_2.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

A replacement trigger plate had to be fitted to the frame. It had to be worked down on the sides and at the front of the dolls head for proper fit to the frame. New screws were also made and fitted. I polished the plate out just as much as I had to for proper fit. A careful task since a file or piece of paper could not touch the original finish on the frame. I left some of the original pitting on the bottom of the plate.

IMG_5610_2.jpg

IMG_5611_2.jpg

Then the replacement plate had to have its engraving touched up and be re-color case hardened. This was done by Turnbull. Here are photos of the freshly case colored plate on the frame. As well as some photos of the sides of the frame to show percentage of original color remaining on the frame.

IMG_5696_2.jpg

IMG_5697_2.jpg

IMG_5698_2.jpg

Then, I had to "age" back the new case colors to try and make the replacement trigger plate look like it belonged with the original frame. Below are the results.

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700_2.jpg

IMG_5701_2.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

There was of course a lot of internal work in replacing parts to complete the DT conversion, but above is the hard part of doing the job and doing the gun justice by making it look like a higher condition original gun when all is said and done.