Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Late model Fox Sterlingworth
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,296 Posts

Default Late model Fox Sterlingworth

I am still looking at this Fox Sterlingworth 20 ga double w/26" bbls. The serial number happens to be 270633. It is a Savage Arms/Utica SW. I can't find a serial number table for this double without paying someone some $ for the info. But I'm guessing it is a very late model mid 1940's production gun. Does this sound about right?
Gun is tight as a drum. Stock was cut to 13 1/2 " and has a pachmayer recoil pad installed making the LOP a little more than 14 1/4 inches or so. The wood on the gun is good, no cracks, splits, chips etc. Metal work is good. Barrels ring ok. Checkering shows wear. The shop owner has it tagged at $1,200 but continues to ask me to make him an offer which I will probably do after another appointment I have in the area of the shop (my tax accountant! argh!). I'd like to pick it up for around $900 but not more than $1K. What I don't know is whether being a late model Savage Arms model SW makes it worth the money. Any feedback? I have no pics and didn't want to take the camera into his shop.
I'm thinking that if the $ for this is in the ballpark, that it would make a nice double for my oldest grandson who in a couple of years would be able to handle it as he gets into more shooting with Papa. A brief stay at the Bachelder Hospital for wayward doubles to do a little cleaning and rejuvination would be in order.

I'll await those of you who are more familiar with SW's than I for your comments and suggestions.
allen newell is offline   Reply With Quote