Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Let's see some hunting rigs....
Unread Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #1
Member
Andy
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Andrew Sacco's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,656
Thanks: 338
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default Let's see some hunting rigs....

This is in the dog section because I am considering a change of vehicle next season and my decision will be DOG and hunting driven. I have a Toyota 4R TRD Pro 2020 which is about as bullet proof a vehicle that you can get, but is going to be too small with two dogs. I have 130,000 on the odo and the only thing I've done is rotors and pads and oil changes. That's it. My wants are these in order:

1. Durability and toughness
2. 2 dogs in crates (English setters)
3. Would like a new vehicle not a used legacy vehicle

Am of course open to a pickup. Have always been a Toyota fan, the last 5 we've had have accumulated 1.2 million miles and never had issues. Now, they are changing everything and with hybrid battery space it takes up valuable dog and gear space. So if you can post photos of your hunting rigs and recommendations along with preferred (removable or built in) dog crates. I drive my vehicles pretty hard and use them and my 4R in Maine has been nothing short of outstanding. I just don't know where to go from here. I am getting a lot of "Do NOT buy a new Toyota (Chevy, Ford, GMC...) engine no matter what you do, find an old 2018 V8... " I have zero interest in buying something with 70,000 on it already.
__________________
The future is no place to place your better days
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #2
Member
John B White
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2026
Posts: 174
Thanks: 386
Thanked 305 Times in 96 Posts

Default

Toyota Land Cruiser. I own 3. A 1987 fj60 (with 430 hp LS3 and auto) Ive had this for 30 years, on my third engine.

A 1999 fj100 with 340k and more to go (this is my dog wagon).

A 2019 fj200 I’ve barely put 25k on this. It’s a backup.

All hold 2 crates between the wheel wells (though the 60 requires a platform for one of ‘em) with room for 2-3 shotguns between them.

Rear seats all folds down and/or flip forward. I’ve had 3 crates in the 100 and could probably fit another.

The 100 is my favorite in terms of comfort and utility.

The 60 is my second. Still rides like an old truck but more than keeps up with traffic. The Chevy engine actually gets better mileage than the straight 6’s I’ve had in it previously.
May replace the leaf springs with coil overs.

The 200 is for dates. Hence the low mileage.

A Land Cruiser can go anywhere. Except past a gas station.
__________________
Buy the ticket, take the ride. Hunter S. Thompson
John B White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John B White For Your Post:
Unread Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #3
Member
Tennessee Dave
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Posts: 404
Thanks: 436
Thanked 347 Times in 165 Posts

Default

Would an enclosed trailer not be ideal for all your hunting equipment and dog cages? Might have to install air vents and fans. Just hook up to your favorite vehicle and go.
David Livesay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #4
Member
Andy
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Andrew Sacco's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,656
Thanks: 338
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default

John, I had an FJ 80 and loved it, and I LOVE Land Cruisers, but the new ones, not so much. It's sad what they did to them, but that's what I'm talking about although I love them I'd rather not get into a new to me old vehicle. I think you're smart to hang on to those beauties!

Dave, there's no way a trailer will get to where I drive the 4R. My buddies F150 barely gets there due to clearance and length and a trailer would be a disaster because at times I'm backing up a long ways to find a place to turn around. I have thought about that but the North Maine Woods off the logging roads can get gnarly. I think this will end up being a pickup but then we get into the well worn debate on how crappy all the half ton pickups are these days and it has devolved into name calling if you spend time looking at reviews and forums. I like the Tundra but my local dealer told me "wait until they get rid of this engine..." Not the vote of confidence I wanted.
__________________
The future is no place to place your better days
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #5
Member
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,688
Thanks: 20,551
Thanked 13,336 Times in 3,934 Posts

Default

I have an F150 with a cap and I keep two large dog crates in the back. When traveling I keep the dogs in the crates in the back and guns/luggage in the back seat with the seats folded up. More than enough room for two hunters and dogs and gear.
Mike Koneski is online now   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #6
Member
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Dave Tatman's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4,289
Thanked 633 Times in 289 Posts

Default

Full disclosure: I’m a retired GM Plant Manager, so I may be a bit biased.

FWIW, Andrew, my latest rig is a 2025 Chevy Colorado ZR2, with a Leer cap, Thule racks, and an interior bed rug. I’ve also added big KC HiLites on the hood. We call ‘em ditch lights, as they are invaluable for illuminating deer on the way back to the cabin in the evenings. I’m only blessed with one setter right now, so generally Beau’s kennel is in the back seat, guns and gear in the bed. His kennel is a Ruffland Large, and you could easily put two side by side under the cap. The slightly smaller size and off-road lift of this truck make it even better in grouse country over my GMC Sierra Denali. It has the highly regarded Turbomax four cylinder engine (the only engine option available) and one that has been the subject of virtually no field issues. I tow my drift boat and/or my UTV trailer behind it with no issues. Towing a big boat or a large RV might be a challenge, but this turbo four has lots of guts.

As I said, for what it’s worth……. Best of luck in your quest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1667.jpg (524.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1670.jpg (507.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1668.jpg (497.1 KB, 2 views)
__________________
“I have never in my life seen a Kentuckian who didn’t have a gun, a pack of cards, and a jug of whiskey.”

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #7
Member
Andy
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Andrew Sacco's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,656
Thanks: 338
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default

Thanks Dave. I love the Ruffland kennels. Nice rig for sure. I had a few friends had to ditch their F150's for various reasons (cam phasers and another a transmission failure at 90,000 miles). I've been a Ford guy and have never owned a Chevy but the GMC's look nice too, in the AT4 trim. I'll have to start driving these things. I could do with a Sequoia but that's long in the tooth and big and sorely needs an update.
__________________
The future is no place to place your better days
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #8
Member
Steiner
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 1,203
Thanks: 9,930
Thanked 3,501 Times in 797 Posts

Default

I’ve been hunting in 1500/4wheel drive suburbans for 25 years. I don’t think you can do better. They ride like a Cadillac and go wherever you need to go, have tons of space and the dogs are in the truck. If I ever downsized I’d likely go with a 4 runner and have a custom dog box made for it. BTW, I have a great, custom made 2 dog box with a custom canvas cover so it’s perfect for warm or cold weather I’m going to sell.
Dan Steingraber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Steingraber For Your Post:
Unread Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #9
Member
Andy
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Andrew Sacco's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2,656
Thanks: 338
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,557 Posts

Default

Does the box fit any particular vehicle Dan?
__________________
The future is no place to place your better days
Andrew Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #10
Member
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,455
Thanks: 2,170
Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,350 Posts

Default

Mercedes Benz UNIMOG; select the wheelbase best for your dog crates and ancillary gear. They will climb log stairs and shale arroyos, skidding trails and rushing streams. Their sprocket drive axles give the tallest ground clearance of any currently manufactured "SUV".
Kevin McCormack is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.