Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Price check
Unread 10-31-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Price check

Just saw a 12 ga VH 28" 1 1/2 fr for consignment sale at a LGS that doesnt move many side by sides--mostly black guns. The gun is tight, unaltered except for an old White Line recoil pad that is well fit , appears to have IC and Mod choking and S/n is 181xxx-a 1918 gun. The screws are timed and unbuggered, but appear to have been removed at least once. Maybe 10% CC and 90% original bluing--no dents or pitting in either bore. The wood is straight grained with original thinned finish and the checkering is about half worn. Looks like an honest shooter with good dimensions and weight, but I think he's got it way overpriced. His tag says $2100. I say $1200. I'd make him an offer at the latter number, but I just dont need another shooter. What do you guys think?
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #2
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,017 Posts

I have four 12g VH's from 26" to 32" and the price has been from $1800 (gun shop) to $3,000 (private sale) and I think that price is not crazy out of line. If it was 26" I'd surely pay a lot less. I think $1200 is way more likely here in a private sale, but then again I've mostly given up buying from dealers and look here first. Seems most members here are realistic, reasonable and generally decent people. This is my uneducated unadulterated opinion.
Unread 10-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #3
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Also, in my experience, consignment sale means the owner may be unrealistic and/or unwilling to lower the price.
Unread 10-31-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,365 Times in 3,283 Posts

If you don’t need another “shooter” why buy one? I’ve had this discussion with myself several times. Regret is a powerful emotion.

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2023, 07:25 PM   #5
Dylan Rhodes
PGCA Member

Member Info

Sounds like a pretty common Parker. I agree the price is high. Maybe if someone was looking for that configuration and chokes, I know I overpaid for a 26” 1 frame 12….but that’s because it was exactly what I wanted and there it sat in original condition. I’ve seen some criminal prices on vintage SXS in my LGS, and they all seem to sell. As the shop owner told me “there’s a butt for every chair”

To me that’s an all original price point. My opinion….
Dylan Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan Rhodes For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2023, 08:03 PM   #6
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have a 16 ga on a 1 frame with 28" bbls that will do everything that 12 would do, so, while its a neat gun, it is overpriced and not needed. Its always nice to see an undamaged, un-messed with Parker in decent (not collectible) condition. I'll check on it in two weeks and see if its still there. Thanks for the input.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 10-31-2023, 08:06 PM   #7
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

I’m perplexed. Since when is this about what you “need??” Sheesh.
Unread 11-02-2023, 11:24 AM   #8
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Followup on the gun. I took my Skeets bore gauge down to the LGS and found 2 1/2 " chambers and bores of .737 R and .734 L. Chokes started at 3 1/2 inches from the muzzles and measured .707 R (30 pts)and .696 L (40 pts). I was surprised because based on my quick earlier look, the wall thickness on the right barrel at the muzzle appeared to be only 20 thousandths or so, like an IC barrel would look. Left appeared "normal". I wrongly assumed that the right barrel was more open than it measured. I did not take the time or trouble to use my Manson gauge to check barrel wall thicknesses.

My thought is that there is a high likelihood the barrels have been reamed or honed from .729 to .734 and .737 and given the fact that these are 1 1/2 frame barrels with relatively thin walls to begin with, probably not something I would want to own. I suppose there is an outside chance they left the factory that way, but by 1918 I think the factory bore dimensions were pretty well locked in. An contrary thoughts? I have no interest in the gun anymore.
Unread 11-02-2023, 11:39 AM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,145 Times in 3,641 Posts

You do what your heart tells you !

But one of the most expensive Parkers I've ever purchased was a VHE 12 32" vent rib monte carlo stocked gun . It also happens to be the gun I typically shoot the best be it trap , sporting or in the pigeon ring . Just for inspiration that gun was north of 6.5K by the time it was in my hands .
Unread 11-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #10
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,670 Times in 2,900 Posts

Without seeing the gun I'd agree that $1200 is more in line for a good price, if not closer to $1100. Problem is many owners think they have the pot-of-gold because it's a vintage SxS. As was said in a previous post consignment may mean there is no wiggle room on the price. Then again, if you would be interested in that particular gun and offer $1050 or $1100, the owner just might bite. Worst that can happen is the owner refuses the price and you're not out any $$.

One thing, as old as these guns are I would say finding one with "unturned" screws would be like finding hens teeth. Sort of like "unfired" condition. They've all been fired, it's just a matter of how much.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!