Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Enduring Freedom Hunt
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
DoubleDown
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Enduring Freedom Hunt

There is a hunting preserve located in Snow Camp, NC called Beaver Pond Sporting Club. I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt there several times already this year, doing mainly driven Pheasant hunts. This weekend on Saturday they sponsored an Enduring Freedom event to honor our Military Veterans and the Wounded Warriors. My friend Alan who works at the club mentioned it to me a few weeks back, and said they needed volunteers, so I signed up to help out. The expected group was large enough to split in two, with a morning and afternoon Pheasant Tower Shoot. When it wasn't their turn in the field, the guys participated in a Five Stand Competition, or could shoot on either the pistol or rifle range. Alan asked me to be in the field, and I spent my morning walking around to the different stations offering coaching/assistance to those who had never shot live birds before. When he first told me what I'd be doing, my immediate thought was how silly I was going to feel walking up to these soldiers and asking them if they needed help shooting a firearm. As it turns out Alan was right, and there were quite a few that had never done any wingshooting before, and they were very appreciative of the assistance. As you'll see from the pictures below, I also took my camera and snapped a few photos of the hunts.

There were less shooters for the afternoon Tower Shoot, so several of the volunteers including me were asked to "bat cleanup", positioning ourselves throughout the field, about 40-50 yards behind the stations. Our job was to pick off any birds that managed to make it through the first wave of shooters. After watching the morning hunt and seeing how high and fast the birds were flying in the stiff winds (especially that far behind the front line) I decided that this would be a great time to try out that new O Grade Hammer Gun I picked up from Gary last weekend. I brought it hoping to maybe squeeze in a round of Five Stand at the end of the day to try it out, so getting to shoot it for the first time at some live birds was definitely a bonus! The last two pictures at the bottom are of the first of four pheasants that I took with it that day. Even more priceless were the looks that I got carrying a 125 year old Hammer Gun into the field to hunt, and the compliments afterwards for making some fairly difficult and far out shots with it. It proved to be quite the conversation starter.

Overall this was a great event, and something I'll put on my calendar to volunteer for next year. There were around 40 veterans and some active duty military personnel there, fourteen of them from the Wounded Warriors. They came from Fort Bragg, seven from the 82nd Airborne, and 7 who were members of Special Forces units. It was the guys who were wounded, some of them not so long ago, who were still recovering from injuries that you could tell really enjoyed the day. A few of them I spoke to said they were limited in what they could do as part of their rehab programs, and it might take them a few days to recover from the event, but it was well worth it. All of them were extremely grateful for having the opportunity to be there, and if felt good to give a little back to those that sacrificed so much for our country.

Mike

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson
Mike.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,923 Times in 12,562 Posts

Nicely done Mike!
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great job for the servicemen. Looks like a lot of fun. NICE 'ol hammer gun.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Well done Mike. Thanks for putting in the time to help our vets...
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,719 Times in 2,584 Posts

Mike;
Thanks for the great photos as usual and helping our brave warriors enjoy a sport dear to our hearts. What a neat way to bring the old hammer gun into the 21st century. Nice going!
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
Craig Parker
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great Story
Craig Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,635 Times in 2,670 Posts

Mike, that is a great old hammer gun. The lowest grade Parker made, so many of them abused, misused, chopped, bobbed and thrown away. This one is preserved and treasured.....keep the flame burning.

Thanks for your help with the soldiers, I spent time flying the 82nd, an impressive bunch of people who know their heritage and responsibilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikesmithhammer.jpg (372.4 KB, 3 views)
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

well done... a great service you ve done for our servicemen...and a great hunt to be on with a fine hammergun...my hats off to you fellas for putting this hunt own for the fellas... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
John Havard
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mike, thanks for helping give our vets some much-deserved pleasure and also thanks for sharing the event with us through your photos. Like others have said, that's a fine-looking hammer gun!

Are either of the pictured dogs yours?
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Good for you Mike. Those birds look incredibly high. It would be a privilege to volunteer for such an event. Here's my twin to your hammer gun. 32" bbls with tight chokes makes it an incredible long range killer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1883 Parker hammer gun at river mail.jpg (197.9 KB, 1 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote