Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
L. C. Smith question
Unread 09-29-2026, 11:34 AM   #1
Member
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Thanks: 4,358
Thanked 503 Times in 216 Posts

Default L. C. Smith question

Any of you historians know if an L. C. Smith manufactured in 1892, could be ordered as a live bird gun? No safety engraving on the top tang under the safety button.

This gun was orderd by a Mr. J. C. Acklin in 1892. I know he competed in some shooting events, but I cannot locate the little information I had on him.

Thanks.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2026, 11:34 AM   #2
Member
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Garry L Gordon's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,016
Thanks: 17,331
Thanked 13,691 Times in 4,098 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Woods View Post
Any of you historians know if an L. C. Smith manufactured in 1892, could be ordered as a live bird gun? No safety engraving on the top tang under the safety button.

This gun was orderd by a Mr. J. C. Acklin in 1892. I know he competed in some shooting events, but I cannot locate the little information I had on him.

Thanks.
William, you might post your question on the Smith Forum. I feel confident that a safety-less gun could be ordered at that time period, but cannot offer proof. Smith made its three-way safety for trap shooters and did so prior to 1900 if memory serves.
__________________
"Doubtless the good Lord could have made a better game bird than bobwhite, and better country to hunt him in...but equally doubtless, he never did." -- Guy de la Valdene (from A Handful of Feathers )

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2026, 02:03 PM   #3
Member
Drew Hause
Forum Associate
 
Drew Hause's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,383
Thanks: 419
Thanked 4,617 Times in 1,480 Posts

Default

No hits on Acklin in the Sporting Life archives, but there were limited trapshooting reports prior to 1895.

The answer is likely 'yes' as guns without safeties exist
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5693...8181019036677/

L.C. Smith Maker, Syracuse and then Hunter Arms aggressively marketed Smith guns for Live Birds and Inanimate Targets as early as 1883 when Harvey McMurchy left Cincinnati for Syracuse.
Unfortunately is is unlikely that the existing shipping records from that date would document the request for no safety
https://lcsca.clubexpress.com/conten...dule_id=245742

The "Combined Automatic and Independent Safety" was patented by Alexander T. Brown and Wilbert Smith in 1886 and available as a special order. It was standard on Hunter Arms Company guns from 1895 to 1902. Thereafter, it was available as an option until 1945, and is frequently found on pre-1913 guns.

Lots of information here
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...c/edit?tab=t.0
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Hause For Your Post:
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!
Unread 10-01-2026, 05:49 PM   #4
Member
William Woods
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 415
Thanks: 4,358
Thanked 503 Times in 216 Posts

Default

In trying to type a response, I get timed out before I can send.

Thanks Mr. Drew and Mr. Gary.

There is a Cody letter on the gun, with the Marlin letterhead.
William Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Woods For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2026, 07:03 PM   #5
Member
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Brian Dudley's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 11,446
Thanks: 568
Thanked 21,089 Times in 5,265 Posts

Default

I would think it certainly could.
__________________
B. Dudley
Brian Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Dudley For Your Post:
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.