Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

it always happens when the tools are not in the truck
Unread 10-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,225 Times in 3,273 Posts

Default it always happens when the tools are not in the truck

on the way home from running the pup- the news there is that he put up his first cock pheasant, but it went out over thick cattails - so in spite of a "give-me" shot - i let it go since I was not sure a young dog would find one in that mess. but he got as much praise as if there was a retrieve

but on the way home I was passing a little gun store and decided to stop in to pick up some rifle ammo - paid for it and started out the door when twin tubes behind the counter caught my eye. (the inventory tended towards black rifles and pump shotguns).

I stopped and asked it that was an Ithaca- he said yes and handed to me with the comment he doesn't know anything about it,

it was a nice condition 12 ga flues - decent case color and twist barrels that just popped color wise. Bores are mirrors which makes me think honed - the thickness of the buttplate surprised me. Felt fairly light - i guessed them to be 28 inch- and do not look cut.

so- now to go back to measure and get photos if he will let me.

I really need to start wearing blinders
Unread 11-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

I have a 28" damascus 1-1/2 flues Ithaca hammerless that is a very nice gun. An uncle got it and an American Arms 12ga hammer gun for $35 in a bar and gave them to me when I was 16.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,225 Times in 3,273 Posts

[QUOTE=Richard Flanders;204626]I have a 28" damascus 1-1/2 flues Ithaca hammerless that is a very nice gun. An uncle got it and an American Arms 12ga hammer gun for $35 in a bar and gave them to me when I was 16.[/QUOTE

never been much for bars- but i have heard about a lot of great deals obtained from thirsty sellers

I still need to stop back and measure it - thought I'd one up'ed it today with a Flues grade 4 with a very low price- but when I picked it up i saw the trigger guard was broken- which must have occurred when the stock broke- because the piece of wood on it would embarrass a hardware store gun

always fun to look