Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

This past season.....
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,175 Posts

Default This past season.....

Just a few pics from this past season to help pass the time till the next:

My own personal "Great Day in the Morning" while out with Kaas and McCormack. A clean double on black ducks, a clean double on mallard drakes (one banded), a clean double on geese, and a single snipe. Also two more mallard drakes to finish my Quebec limit. All shot with the big Parker 34 inch #3 frame 12 gauge.

McCormack on the same trip, in the middle of Lac St Pierre fishing for walleye.

Me out for walleye on the same trip, I'd managed to hook up a few despite also trying to smoke that giant cigar at the same time.

Lake St. Clair in Ontario, Canada rowing my sneak boat picking up decoys.

My father Dwight Hoffard a couple days after Christmas with a clean triple he shot on mallard drakes. This was classic, we had five drakes sneak right in on us low. It was about 20 degrees and blowing hard, we were huddled in the bottom of a pit trying not to freeze to death. Dad happened to just catch them as they were tipping into the decoys on the only open water anywhere nearby. He had three killed before our friend Russell and I could even get stood up. I managed to get two barrels in on what was left and missed clean, Russell never got off a shot as Dad had killed all three on that side of the pit. Dad looked at me and said "How many did you guys kill?" I replied that I'd missed, Russell showed him that his gun was still full of shells. Dad just smiled as he was reloading and never said a word. Yeah, the old man can still shoot.....

Week between Christmas and New Years down Mississippi way. The first specklebelly geese I've ever shot in my life. This was a strange limit, weren't many good ducks around so we sorta had to make do. That's a limit of six Hollywood mallards, and a pair of drake sawbills along with the geese. My big Parker 34 inch gun did the deed.

Another day in Mississippi, not a great pic but also showing a first for me. We finally managed to find some mallards and I killed my first ever Ross Geese.

My last hunt of the season, on the channel, St. Clair River, Ontario in mid January. It was 9 degrees when we slid the boat off the trailer, I believe that might have been my coldest duck hunt ever. Three of us killed 14 mallards, a redhead, a canvasback, and 7 geese. I'd have taken more pictures but my cheapo camera actually froze.
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Congradulations on a very productive season. I really enjoyed the story about your dad and his triple.
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Great Pictures Destry thanks, what a cool 12 and a stright grip I am truly jealous!
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I chased that gun for two years and gave up another great Parker to get it but she's a duck murderer. I call her The Swamp Angel, cause I'm insane and name my guns.....

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,760 Times in 735 Posts

Destry,

Sounds like another great season and what a plus for your dad to be along and still show the "boys" how it's done. Looks like I could get in those waders with you! You're a mear shadow of your former self! It's no wonder you got cold this winter. You lost all your insulation. I don't know what your doing, but keep it up. You look fit.

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 997 Posts

Thank you for your post Destry.

I hadn't ever heard of Spoonbills being referred to as Hollywood Mallards before. Is that local terminology or do I not get out enough?
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Harry,

Starvation will do a lot for a fat boy, though it ain't much fun. I even quit drinking beer believe it or not, it's only whiskey for me these days.

Wild,

I've only ever heard them called that down south. They call them Hollywood Mallards cause they're like those people out in Hollywood, always smiling.....

Destry
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,799 Times in 3,968 Posts

the mighty hunter is still king ...looks like you had a good teacheryour dad...i like that name hollywood ducks i could just see sunshades on them...youve truly got to love it setting out there in 9 degree weather...ive been hunting in the cold but its been awhile...next time you in ole miss maybe we can drink that cup of coffee we talked about...keep us informed on those duck hunts we enjoy them...the swamp angel is truly in the right hands... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
John Truitt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,075 Times in 338 Posts

Destry,

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

You are not the only one who names his guns. I know of several parker shooters who do so.

Told ya those 34" guns are great.
John Truitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

Really enjoyed the pics! Is that boat loaded with decoys in the first pic yours?

Being new to Parkers or American doubles for that matter, I was just happy to get a 32", #2 frame with a straight grip. A friend has a #6 frame 10 ga, and now after seeing your nice gun, the quest is on for a larger frame gun.

Thank you for sharing.
Theodore LeDurt is offline   Reply With Quote