Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

new to pgca could use some help
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
michael cavicchi
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default new to pgca could use some help

first off thanks for your help in advance. I recently inherited what I believe to be a DH grade serial # 126125 with a 2 barrel set 16 gauge damascus and a 12 gauge titanic all with matching serial#. the condition from what little I know about parkers seems to be very good the gun was stored and I dont think this gun has been shot for 60 to 70 years I just sent for parker research letter and myself and my two sons have been having a great time learning about the Parker history. I can see how collecting these beutiful doubles could become addictive. my question is how common is this gun in this configuration and why would parker make a two barrel set each from different steels. I am going to try and post some pictures soon. I was leary about asking my local gun dealer about this gun but I did anyway He told me no one would want the damascus barrel and he would give me a couple hundred bucks for the gun and that it wasnt worth more than that I told him it wasnt for sale grabbed my parker and ran
michael cavicchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

You have a VERY desirable gun. It likely came as a 16 on a #1 frame and a 12 gauge barrel was fit at a later date. Does each barrel have its own forend? You should send for a PGCA letter. Pics would be nice. Your friendly local gundealer knows what you have and he was hoping you did not.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

If in good or better condition you have an interesting and useful Parker. Likely your gun was made as a fairly late 16g Damascus gun on a #1 frame that someone sent back to Parker Bros. at a later date to add a set of 12g Titanic steel barrels. This was not unusual. What is unusual is that your gun survives with both sets of barrels. Current research and practice among doublegun enthusisast has revived an interest in shooting Damascus guns. If your research letter confirms my "theory" so much the better. Again depending on condition and originality your gun could be sold privately for atleast $4-5000. Good Luck with it.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
ED J, MORGAN
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Your DH was made about 1903. Prob. with damascus barrels. It may have been sent back to Parker for a new set of modern steel barrels, or just to have a different guage. Do not break up this set. $$$

The Parker Letter may tell you more. Welcome to this site. ed
ED J, MORGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
michael cavicchi
Forum Associate

Member Info

thanks for all your help the barrels each have a forend also with matching serial # the barrel lugs each have a #2 for a frame size and thanks for the welcome
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,073 Times in 1,730 Posts

Michael,Congratulations on a great gun! Post some pictures...We just love pictures!
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Michael,

The "Book" list 126125 as a 1904 DH 12 gauge with 30" Titanic Steel barrels, capped pistol grip and no extras. Must have sent it back for the 16 gauge Damascus barrels. I also have a 1904 DH 12 gauge 129258 listed in the book as a two barrel gun with 28" Titanic Steel barrels. The truth is the 28" barrels are Damascs and the 30" barrels are Titanic! The only conclusion I can draw from this is that the boy's at Parker might not have been as good a book keepers as they were gun makers. You may find in a letter that your gun came from the factory as a two barrel set or as sugested by others it was sent back for the 16 gauge barrels.

We are glad you did not listen to the "gun dealer" and hope you continue to post here. If you are going to use the gun for sport or hunting let us know and we will stear you toward appropriate ammunition.

Kindest, Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Don Kaas
Forum Associate

Member Info

Harry had the book in hand so the gun is even more unusual than I had guessed. The 16 gauge Damascus barrels on a #2 frame are quite rare and and almost certainly fitted by Parker Bros. (who else would have a set???) I have a similar DH made in 1919 as a #2 frame 30" 12g Titanic gun that went back to Parker to have a set of Damascus 20g 32" barrels fitted. The reverse of the usual practice. It is one of my favorite Parkers.
Don Kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

WOW Don! Before I started shooting Damascus with smokeless powder, I sent a 12 gauge GH to Briley in the late 1980's for 20 gauge tubes. The extra weight (almost a pound) keeps the gun swinging. I bet 32" #2 frame 20 gauge barrels swing like magic...

Harry
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
michael cavicchi
Forum Associate

Member Info

thank you all for the great insight I inherited this shotgun from my father and the only history I have known about the gun is that an elderly woman in Duxbury massachusetts gave it to my father after her husband passed away in exchange for cleaning her basement. there is a 3 above the serial # on the watertable of the gun and a D below the serial # which if im right indicates the grade did parker stamp guns that where returned to factory for modification