Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Announcement, Help & Introduction Forums New User Introductions

Notices

Serial Number says 1916 MFG Date. PGCA no number
Unread 07-18-2024, 11:32 AM   #1
Roy Malone
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Serial Number says 1916 MFG Date. PGCA no number

Help,
I bought a Parker years back at auction. Decided to research it now. Looked up the serial number of 174761 and it came back as produced in 1916. It is in really good shape to be so old. gun is a 12 gage DH with optional ejectors. The gun doesn't appear to be reblued. All corners are very sharp. The wood is in near perfect condition. I have had this gun for a while due to health issues and never checked it out. I decide to request a letter from the association and it says the data base did not locate any information. There was no warning. One last thing is the gun has a single selectable trigger. Any help would be appreciated. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures in the near future.
Thanks,
Roy
Roy Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #2
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,925 Times in 1,922 Posts

Roy on the home page you can click on the Research Letters tab in the tree on the left where you can search your serial number. It would have told you then that there were no records available for this serial number.
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #3
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,099 Times in 2,079 Posts

Post some pictures of the gun along with barrel length, etc. I'm sure some will weigh in.
Unfortunate that there is no info on the gun.
Unread 07-19-2024, 10:46 AM   #4
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,973 Times in 3,214 Posts

Ordinarily, when the PGCA says there are no records available for a particular serial number, it is because the book containing that number was missing when the volunteers were photocopying the books at Remington.
In your particular case it is a bit of a mystery, as the book containing your serial number was not missing, evidenced by the fact that the serial numbers immediately before, and after yours, are in the database. This sort of mystery, may never be explained, but in many cases, the super sleuth Research Director is able to look at the photocopy of the page in question, and decipher the faded handwriting of the man who entered the information.
Your last best hope is contacting Chuck Bishop to enlist his help. Bribes of fine malt whisky and rare cigars are not ordinarily necessary, because if he can help, he will.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2024, 08:41 PM   #5
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,925 Times in 1,922 Posts

Good spot Edgar on the numbers before and after. Confidentially fine malts and cigars will get you nowhere with His Eminence. Now a particular clam that he favors and bruschetta may part the seas
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 07-19-2024, 10:16 PM   #6
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,875 Times in 12,550 Posts

I seriously doubt that our esteemed Chairman of Parker Gun Research would allow himself to be bribed… believe me, I’ve tried…

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2024, 08:16 AM   #7
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,973 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I seriously doubt that our esteemed Chairman of Parker Gun Research would allow himself to be bribed… believe me, I’ve tried…

The double negative sounds like you’re suggesting he can be ‘influenced’. I doubt that’s what you meant.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2024, 03:00 PM   #8
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,603 Times in 2,880 Posts

Problem is there are some large orders that are entered into the Order Books that have all the info except the serial number. There are pages of 40 guns that have barrel steel, barrel length, stock/grip type, ejector, price, etc but none have the serial number included. Add to that very few frames were used in consecutive order by serial number. There can be one or more order books between the serial numbers.
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 07-20-2024, 04:35 PM   #9
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,057 Times in 1,445 Posts

This S/N is in 1 of the missing stock books so no help there. It's not showing up in the order book db either however it's very possible that S/N order entry was missed when Gunther went thru the order books looking for any gun D grade and above that was missing in the stock book. He then added those guns into what turned into the Serialization book.

There were 402 S/N's in the 174xxx range located in order book # 95. There are other order books also that contain S/N's in the 174xxx range. Since order book #95 containg the most S/N's in the 174xxx range, I'll manually look at each page and see if I can find 174761. It should be there it's just a matter of finding it. Much like finding a needle in a haystack.

I'll let you know if I find it. May take a few days.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 07-20-2024, 04:39 PM   #10
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,273 Times in 3,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
This S/N is in 1 of the missing stock books so no help there. It's not showing up in the order book db either however it's very possible that S/N order entry was missed when Gunther went thru the order books looking for any gun D grade and above that was missing in the stock book. He then added those guns into what turned into the Serialization book.

There were 402 S/N's in the 174xxx range located in order book # 95. There are other order books also that contain S/N's in the 174xxx range. Since order book #95 containg the most S/N's in the 174xxx range, I'll manually look at each page and see if I can find 174761. It should be there it's just a matter of finding it. Much like finding a needle in a haystack.

I'll let you know if I find it. May take a few days.
You Rock!

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: