Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Are Parker prices up, down or what??
Unread 08-18-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,022 Posts

Default Are Parker prices up, down or what??

I just looked at a local gun, and to my mind it's crazy over priced. Private sale 20g Trojan for $5200 with 28" tubes I tried to tell the seller he was on crack, and showed him some sold listings, but he wasn't listening and held his price so I walked. Quickly. This is the SECOND 20g Trojan at or above the 5K mark in the past several weeks I've come across. These are good+ condition field guns not mint by any means. Is there any way to tell if Parker prices are rising, falling or doing anything in particular? Let's remove GB from the equation because that tends to bring out stupidity. I'm still new at this, and sometimes I'm just floored at what people are asking for things. So is this the result of the mania we're in or are prices truly expanding for Parkers (or American SxS for that matter)? By comparison he also had a 12g LC Smith hammer gun with Damascus barrels that seemed very very solid and pretty good dimensions and I think I can grab that for about $1,300. Sometimes when things start making sense they make no sense
Unread 08-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,951 Times in 12,570 Posts

I think Parker prices have been relatively stable for the last few years.
There’s a huge difference between asking prices and ‘sold for’ prices.
Let’s see what that Trojan 20 with 28” tubes fibally sells for…. if it even ever sells. That price is waay off the charts of reasonable asking prices.
Some folks who are not in the know but who THINK they are simply believe if it’s a Parker it must be a gold mine, and this is most often not so.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,150 Times in 3,641 Posts

The Gold Mine thing can be said for Belgium Brownings as well as Pre 64 Winchester Model 12’s when those same type folks posses them .
Unread 08-18-2021, 09:22 PM   #4
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,443 Times in 4,457 Posts

20 gauge VH prices seem to be up for the moment. Emphasis on “seem”
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanks. I'm just amazed at times. I'm looking at another gun at a dealer and he's also very high for a 16g VH and he said it's a consignment and the seller set the price, so I can see that happening for sure. He said I could make an offer but I'm about $1,200-$1,500 South of his price and he said he knows the seller won't even consider that. I'll just keep checking back. The problem with seeing where things sell at is that there are a lot of people out there who will just pay it and that screws up the perception.
Unread 08-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,974 Times in 364 Posts

Cabela's recently had a VH20 that was a really fine, no excuses gun. They had originally priced it at $6K or was it $7K! After sitting for a couple of months they lowered the tag to $3K. While I was scratching my head "Boom" it was gone. High condition Parkers are and will always be in demand and seem to bring more than what one would think reasonable. The market is flooded with over priced Parkers with undeniable problems. Those guns will probably never sell at the asking prices. I'm content finding affordable examples that I feel comfortable owning and that in the future I should be able to break even or make a modest profit. I'm just an enthusiast, it's just a hobby for fun and amusement. I am also a member of "Parker Brothers Anonymous".
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,574 Times in 373 Posts

Original graded small bore high condition guns never stop going up. All others are speculative.

PML
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patrick Lien For Your Post:
Unread 08-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
Aaron Beck
PGCA Member

Member Info

Im not a collector but I tend to agree with Dean. To me, the internet has changed the game, magnified the apparent demand while restricting supply. Additionally, the search algorythms control the prices to their own advantage (ebay for one). Gun stores and individual sellers consult the supply when choosing their prices but rarely the demand side and since its theoretically easier to reach a buyer every would be speculator wants a "good" price as measured against perceived value. The shooting sportsman feature is just the type of press which keeps the demand up amongst eager but uninformed buyers.
Aaron Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Beck For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,661 Times in 356 Posts

Clean original small bore guns of any make are bringing more than ever. Average hunting and using guns are very flat now. 12 gauge anything is slow to sell. I can remember not that long ago if you walked into a gun show with a Parker you drew a crowd. This morning gunsinternational has 460 Parkers listed. That really takes away some of the mystique surrounding any fine gun. Buyers want something that is rare and hard to find. Also, I have lately encountered buyers who do not shoot. They just collect. They want the guns perfect but will pay top dollar, It baffles me because I am a shooter and hunter first.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 08-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Andy
PGCA Member

Member Info

John, I've found if you scroll down through those 460 a lot are duplicates? For example, a Trojan was once listed from Robin Hollow in the "NEW TODAY" section and again further down (it was still there last week). I have owned that gun for 8 months. There was a 12g VH on there three times as well and when I called about it, it was sold weeks before. Puglisi on two occasions had sold guns listed for weeks that were sold. I don't think we really know what the hell is out there anymore. I plan on going to the Vintagers to look around in person. I think from now on I'd rather just buy from folks on this forum or in person if it's something I want.