Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

a 8 ga discovery
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

Default a 8 ga discovery

was cleaning my old 8 gauges today and made to me a great dicovery.. i was trying to measure the chamber length i tried this and that..even in the past i had used a paper file card cut to the bore size and slid down till it stopped at the u no what..boy what a time for a senior moment..any way i always thought the old f a loomis was a3 1/2 inch chambered gun.. well i put a quarter yes a coin a quarter in the breach end it will not go in a 8 ga its about the same size as a 8 ga shell on the brass end...then i tried a nickle yes a 5 cent piece this nickle stopped right at the chamber end where the forceing cones start..forceing cones thats the word...well i tried this in both barrels of this gun they measure as 4 inch chambers..was i pleased about this yes to be sure..i tried it on one of the parkerlifter 8 ga sit slid down the barrel on one side one side it stayed in place chamber on it was 3 1/4 inch...i think that the nickle method will work on most 8 ga guns to measure the chamber lentgh.may not work on all 8 ga s as somebores are bigger than others by a few thousand..but it does work on two of the 3 8 ga i have... now who s got a 4 inch hull they want to sell...hope someone else trys this nickle method on there 8 ga to see if it works for them and post it here... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,212 Times in 4,914 Posts

Great idea, Charlie. Drill a hole in a nickel and screw a bolt into the hole and mark it in increments of 1/4 inch. Parker chambered big eights at 3 1/4 standard and 4 inches for extra long. My Greener Royal is marked 3 3/4 inches nitro proof, so I guess they had shells that length. I think all American 4 inch shells were hand loaded. Look for unused empties if you want a 4 inch shell.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Eldon Goddard
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Charlie that is great news. I made my chamber gauge out of some scrap aluminum on the lathe works pretty good.
Eldon Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
Milton Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Charlie rmc has 4" 8 ga shells
Milton Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know this is a long shot But keep an eye out for an 8ga scott on the auction sites. The U S postal service seems to have misplaced mine. Hate to horn in oun your post Charlie but I still cant start a thread on this computer. I figure who ever borrowed it will try to dump it quickly. Thanks for your help in advance.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,803 Times in 3,968 Posts

its ok wayne sure hope they find your gun..they lost one of mine that i had bought for over a week..then another shipper left my parker lifter on a neighbors porch with nobody home...home they find this scott and soon keep us informed...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Well Good news. They found my Scott right here in town. It only took them five days to discover that they hadn't put it on the truck. I am certainly glad that I paid for two day priority shipping. No wonder the post office keeps loosing business. It is finally suppose to be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday. wouldn't you know Monday is a holiday. Thanks for letting me vent on your thread.
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,356 Times in 3,305 Posts

well - all's well that ends well

and it will give you a story to go with the gun

now you are on the clock for pictures
Unread 02-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

There already pic's posted under rainy day gun and there will be follow up pic's when the gun is finished.