Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Railbird Shooting.....
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,194 Posts

Default Railbird Shooting.....

I've been awhile posting these pictures. This was two falls ago, my friend Don Kaas managed to wrangle me an invite on this venture and it was a day to remember. We were shooting on the Maurice River in New Jersey with the Camp Family as our pushers. September is coming quick and that's railbird time......

1. First thing was a trip to "The Girls Place" an all female owned and operated bait shot to purchase our non-resident one day Jersey license.

2. Then it was off to the farm market to await the arrival of our gang of pushers.

3. All the boats in the water.

4. And off we go!

5. Pushing through the long grass, this is where the birds are at high tide.

6. My pusher who I'm happy to say only fell in the water once and it wasn't really my fault....

7. By bag for the afternoon.

8. And finally one of your faithful reporter just to prove I was really there.

This was only a technical Parker trip for me as I was shooting Dad's old Stevens. There were Parkers in the field though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Railbirding4.jpg (512.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Railbirding5.jpg (519.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-025A.jpg (495.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-020A.jpg (477.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-022A.jpg (491.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-023A.jpg (483.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-014A.jpg (510.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Railbirding7.jpg (510.5 KB, 7 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,339 Times in 3,302 Posts

looks like a bluebird day Destry, and a lot of fun

and love the boats just saw one just like them for sales on craigslist in NJ listed as a duck boat but I did not recognize the style
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
charlie cleveland
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 7,801 Times in 3,968 Posts

what a hunt... only destrey could find an all girl bait and license shop...youre looking mighty trim big boy... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

The best days are when there's a hurricane tide pushing in off the ocean. The higher the water the more birds you see. Roger Giles and I got lucky and caught one when we were shooting clapper rails down in Virginia. It was a once in a lifetime experience, I doubt I ever get that lucky again.

DLH

Few More Pics:

1. You start out just as the tide starts to make, you can see how hard my pusher is working to make the boat go forward. This is why hardly anybody does this work anymore, it's more work than most modern folks want for the money they can get.

2. Tide starting to make, my first few birds and the butt of Dad's old gun.

3. I got lucky and caught a pigeon shoot on the way home. You can just see the bird starting to come out of the center trap, I believe I killed that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Railbirding6.jpg (534.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg R1-03226-019A.jpg (525.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg RailbirdPigeon.jpg (495.5 KB, 9 views)
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,349 Times in 924 Posts

Destry, please excuse my ignorance, but do you eat the birds? Or is it just for the shooting?
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,436 Times in 4,454 Posts

Sure looks like fun.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

You eat them for sure.

The sora type (what we were shooting here), is very small so it takes several to make a meal. They're very tasty, Brother Kaas and I cooked up a batch the evening after the shoot.

The clappers are hit and miss, sometimes they're fantastic and sometimes they're very fishy. First time I ever ate them they were literally some of the best wild game I've ever had. Another time (same recipe) they were as fishy as merganser. Just depends on what they've been feeding on I'd imagine.

Destry

P.S. I'm assuming you meant the rails. We don't eat the pigeons after the pigeon shoots.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Clapper rails and then pigeons. Sounds like a great time. What were you using on the pigeons? I'll second you on the clapper rails. I've shot them on the Va. Eastern Shore and my host's mother fixed them with dumplings. Pretty good.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

I was shooting my big #3 frame DHE at the pigeons.

Add dumplings to any equation and you've got a fair meal. That's what I had for supper last night actually, substitute chicken for rail bird.

DLH
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,150 Times in 3,641 Posts

Now that looks like my kind of bird hunting !

I can sit while someone poles me around !

If it were me I think I'd have a small cooler in the front of the boat with a couple drinks and a sandwich or two

Supposed to be pretty decent Rail shooting down on the eastern shore of Virginia also !

I think the place is called "Wachapreague" I am sure the spellings not correct .