Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

But What About Our Ruffed Grouse…?
Unread 07-05-2024, 07:21 AM   #1
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,647 Times in 12,474 Posts

Default But What About Our Ruffed Grouse…?

“Over the next three decades”???

What about the immediate problem in the Northeast of the radical disappearances ou our ruffed grouse? We’ve been talking about this for about a decade and such a program here would certainly be a benefit. These days I see more barred owls while hunting in Vermont than I see ruffed grouse, even when hunting with my Gracie.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3837.jpg (386.5 KB, 11 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2024, 07:36 AM   #2
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,453 Times in 1,259 Posts

Grouse numbers have plummeted here in PA while we've seen a major increase in land and avian predators. Chicks in particular are especially vulnerable. Hardly anyone traps anymore and hawks/owls have been totally protected for decades now. Anyone driving through PA on the Interstates when the leaves are off can hardly go one mile without seeing a hawk(s) sitting on a tree eyeing for its next meal. There was a time and not so long ago when our Game Commission called for small game hunters to shoot these “vicious predators on sight”. And that was in its official publication. Loss of habitat is total joke propaganda pushed by the RGS and PGC and methinks the WNV is at most a minor impactor. Sure, you can find a grouse or two here and there, but sorry to say I don't see any real hope for grouse recovery on the horizon.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2024, 08:06 AM   #3
Steve Hodges
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,294 Times in 911 Posts

Dean, this plan seems to make sense but I doubt that it will ever see implementation. I would be surprised if the tree huggers were not already calling there lawyers to begin filing suits to block it.
Daniel Webster once said ""Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoemakers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but in the mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men."
Stephen Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Hodges For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2024, 09:25 AM   #4
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,026 Times in 316 Posts

I have been saying the same thing about Hawks & Owl's for the last 40 years.
In my area there is a Hawk for every tree. Big Hawks, medium Hawks, little Hawks, & Extra large Hawks, and they have ''NO'' fear of you. At night time the Owls are out, I have seen them as early as 3:00 p.m. They come in all sizes too.
Now, no Grouse, Rabbits, and all our Pheasant's are ''GONE. And if the game birds & rabbits some how avoid the flying Killers, the Coyote's & Fisher that our
D.E.C. released in our area finish the job. Oh, did I mention that our Turkey's
are in trouble too. Their #s are way down. And just wait till the Eagle numbers
keep rising, our Deer numbers will drop.

Harry

P.S. A program to ''Control'' the Killers should be put into effect. There are way to many of them flying around !
I Just read the whole story on the OWLS ON Fox News. The OWLS MOVED IN ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO, and they want to kill 450,000 of them. They say that's just a drop in a bucket compared to how many Owls their really are.Just think how many OWLS are in our areas. After all they have been here forever. But at one time we kept them under control by the Shooting method, but not any more.

Last edited by Harry Gietler; 07-05-2024 at 09:47 PM..
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2024, 10:52 AM   #5
James L. Martin
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,663 Times in 405 Posts

Frank and Harry are 100% right, I have been saying the same thing for years. The real problem is hawks and owls plus other predators. The loss of habitat is BS
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James L. Martin For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2024, 06:32 PM   #6
Craig Larter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 10,762 Times in 1,698 Posts

Our hunting club is in eastern Wayne county NY a very rural area mostly apple orchards, row crops, mixed hardwoods and extensive wetlands. Fishers, coyotes, hawks and owls have eliminated every ground nesting bird, our turkey population has crashed. Back in the 70' the lake plains of NY were a pheasant hunting meca. . Now the ducks in our part of the flyway are in deep trouble. Mallards number are down 50% in the last few years. The wetland habitat in our area of central NY has doubled in the last ten years but duck numbers keep trending down. Why?????
Craig Larter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Craig Larter For Your Post:
Unread 07-05-2024, 07:20 PM   #7
Harry Gietler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,026 Times in 316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Larter View Post
Our hunting club is in eastern Wayne county NY a very rural area mostly apple orchards, row crops, mixed hardwoods and extensive wetlands. Fishers, coyotes, hawks and owls have eliminated every ground nesting bird, our turkey population has crashed. Back in the 70' the lake plains of NY were a pheasant hunting meca. . Now the ducks in our part of the flyway are in deep trouble. Mallards number are down 50% in the last few years. The wetland habitat in our area of central NY has doubled in the last ten years but duck numbers keep trending down. Why?????
You answered your own question, all the killers you mentioned, plus coons, skunks, and possum's,and Foxes. The Hawks are the worse. And even the common Crow,when it comes to killing song birds and their eggs, they don't take second place. One good thing about Coyotes, They kill Cats, I have not cut a track of a cat in over 5 years, may be more.

Harry
Harry Gietler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry Gietler For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2024, 02:05 PM   #8
John Allen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,642 Times in 351 Posts

Another factor that the fish and game people don't want to talk about is the rise in turkey populations. In the south our wild quail have all but disappeared. So have a lot of ground nesting birds like meadow larks. If you watch a flock of turkeys move through a field,they are constantly eating. A quail or grouse chick is no bigger that most insects. This plus the increase in other predators makes it hard for any ground nesting birds to increase.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Allen For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2024, 02:12 PM   #9
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

This thread certainly is an eye opener.

I don’t have the opportunity to hunt grouse—simply because they are gone. If I saw one, I wouldn’t shoot it, due to them being uncommon.

I have been brainwashed, hoodwinked, call it what you want—to believe the decline in the grouse population was due to changing habitat. Because that’s what the powers that be want you to think. Meanwhile, not a day goes by where you don’t see a bird of prey somewhere. I even saw an American Eagle within a third of a mile of my house within the last week.

Maybe it’s time they rethink policy and thin more of these birds of prey?
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post:
Unread 07-06-2024, 04:53 PM   #10
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,408 Times in 4,444 Posts

They need a program like that for hawks and eagles down here to help wild quail